CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How do you know if they enjoy it?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Glasgowiain
How do you know if they enjoy it?

Hey, decided to give Slim a bath today, ( small amount of tepid water in a clean sink) he was moving back and forth through the water fairly quickly. Is this a sign he was enjoying it?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Dragonling
Snakes aren't like puppies. Quick movement is typically out of stress, not happy excitement. The only exception might be a male chasing a female, but "enjoyment" is a bit too complex an emotion to ascribe to our very simple-brained reptiles.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Twolunger
I've never had a corn snake that enjoyed a bath. I only soak them if there was the rare shedding problem, or if I suspected an impaction. Even then they leap, if a snake can leap, out of the water and are glad to be dried with a soft towel.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
GeneticsWizard
I agree with both responses above. Unless there's a specific problem you're trying to remedy, I don't recommend giving your corn snake a "bath". It sounds to me like it caused your snake stress, which is to be avoided whenever possible.

Good luck with "Slim"!

Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Glasgowiain
Thanks for the replies, I've read so many differing opinions about every aspect of what should/should not be done.
Last shed had a couple of bits left , and wanted to make make sure this time it would be better.
If it causes stress though I won't be doing it again.
Thanks again folks.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasgowiain View Post
Thanks for the replies, I've read so many differing opinions about every aspect of what should/should not be done.
Last shed had a couple of bits left , and wanted to make make sure this time it would be better.
If it causes stress though I won't be doing it again.
Thanks again folks.

Don't worry about it too much. The snake will quickly forgive you. Your intentions were good.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
chris68
Just bump his humidity up with a bigger water dish, a substrate that holdshumidity better, like coco husk or cypress, and/or consider adding a "humid hide" if his cage has room. He doesn't need a bath, just a little more humidity it sounds like

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google