CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Thermostat setup for corn snake

Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
sachen
Thermostat setup for corn snake

I have a hydrofarm thermostat for my adhesive heat mat that is al ready in place. I have a Zilla critter cage for my corn snake. The space that allows wires to go through the terrarium at the top is to small for the wire of the thermostat to pass. The terrarium lid locks onto the terrarium, but with the probe, I can't lock it. I have to leave the terrarium lid a bit lose. There are no gaps big enough for a corn snake to pass, but I'm scared he might push the lid. How should I setup the thermostat?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
DollysMom
Tape the probe securely with duck tape to the middle of the outside of the UTH. I use two layers of tape.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
sachen
which heat mat brand do you use?So the probe would be stuck to the non-adhesive side of the heat mat? Basically the side facing the floor, not the gass tank?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
DollysMom
Yes, facing the floor. My UTHs are 1 ZooMed and 1 All Living Things (PetSmart). The duck tape will come off if you need to take off or move the probes.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
AJK Aquaria
Be sure to take a temp reading directly on the glass above the UTH. Adjust the thermostat setpoint accordingly to get your desired temperature.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Tape the probe securely with duck tape to the middle of the outside of the UTH. I use two layers of tape.
I wouldn't use duct tape. You can buy aluminum tape in the heating/AC section of a home store. Get the heavy type, not the thin type. It won't melt or get brittle like duct tape will, and is easy to remove if you need to.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Kalista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I wouldn't use duct tape. You can buy aluminum tape in the heating/AC section of a home store. Get the heavy type, not the thin type. It won't melt or get brittle like duct tape will, and is easy to remove if you need to.
Just wanted to second the suggestion of aluminum tape. It's very forgiving and easy to work with.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #8
HerpsOfNM
https://www.lowes.ca/search/aluminum...=aluminum-tape

Here's a link even for a Canadian Lowes...

All I ask in return are some maple syrup hard candies from Canadia (Ka-nae-dee-ah)...I mean Canada, eh!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
sachen
Since my heat mat is already in place, can the t-stat probe be taped to the back side of the heat mat with the logo and other information? The side that is not stuck to the glass tank's bottom? It is basically not being sandwiched by the heat mat and tank.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
DollysMom
Yes. Mine are both taped to the back side and not sandwiched. I like keeping the mat flat to the glass.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google