CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Strange biting

Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Hristian_Iv
Strange biting

Ok, I got my first corn snake 6 weeks ago. I normally know much about snakes and their behavior, but mine is doing something I really don`t understand. He is very friendly, and I can pick him up, touch him, let him out to walk around the room then pick him back up without a problem.
A few days ago, I was laying down and I had him on my, he was doing the regular things going up down and around. Then he when to my neck and I saw him with a mirror opening him mouth and trying to bite me on the neck without any reason. I moved his head, he didn`t try to bite my hand, but he keep wanting to bite my neck (really weird).
A week before that, he was crawled under my t-shirt and after a while of sitting there, I saw him trying to bite the side of my stomach. And before that he gave me a little bite on my stomach, like really gently for a second and let go. In all three of the occasions he was not provoked, not scared, and he didn`t act aggressive or react to as he`s biting prey.
Does anybody have any idea what he`s doing???

Old 10-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Dragonling
Maybe your shower soap smells tasty to him? Many times non-feeders are provoked to eat by washing pinkies in dish soap. Similar reaction maybe? No idea.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
daddio207
I've owned a lot of snakes that did the same biting behavior. My scent seemed to be a trigger to certain snakes. We probably would be on their food list if we were 6 inches tall rather than 6 feet Haha.....
I was at an Expo years ago and a snake was being passed around. Adults and kids were holding him. I had an interest in him so I asked to hold him next. He was fine for about a minute until he started sniffing my skin. Well he decided that my finger just what he wanted and latched on. He even got my finger down to the last knuckle before I was able to get him to uhh throw my finger up LOL. I just figured I didn't sanitize well enough after touching another reptile before holding him. I purchased him and took him home. Well that snake would sniff me (rub his snout on my skin) every time I handled him! I had a few other snakes do the same. Some would just sniff while others would also half heartedly bite. Some were corns while others were kings, beauty's and rat snakes.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
Elekia
My Idris gave me a gentle bite the first time I held him. He wasnt scared, he was really relaxed. He just very slowly opened his mouth, bit my finger, released me and continued on.

Startling but I still haven't figured out why. I keep waiting for it to hy appen agai. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
DeuceRon
Well, it is the Halloween season after all. Was it at night? Was there a full moon?

There is a very rare morph called 'Vamp', perhaps you have one?

Seriously, that is some strange behavior, but those comments about smell seem logical to me. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Distaff
I have a rosy boa that does this. A slow motion bite is scarier to me than a strike. It is just...weird. I hardly ever handle this animal. She is beautiful, but not a lap pet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google