CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Squeaking and not hiding often

Old 03-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
bleachmanx
Squeaking and not hiding often

my corn snake is about a year old, he has been making a sneezing and or squeaking sound for a while. I was concerned so i took him to a vet to check if it was possibly a Respiratory infection. My corn snake was prescribed antibiotics as a preventative measure but the Veterinarian said my snake did not have an RI but the antibiotics would be good for him just as a preventative measure. It has been month's and I have taken him to the vet twice but he has been diagnosed as healthy and my vet suggested it might be the humidity so i have changed my substrate to aspen/Reptibark and have a humidifier in my room. Recently he has been out a lot laying in the open during the morning and during the afternoon. This is unusual because he is in one of two of his hides most of the time. I am concerned he might be stressed , I do not handle him very often two times a week most of the time and its only for a period of 15 minutes. On a previous note he is still making that sound even though i have done everything I was told to do by the vet.Does anyone know whats going on with him or have had anything similar happen?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
DollysMom
In this case, I think your vet who has seen your snake probably knows better than any of us here.

I wouldn’t worry about the amount of handling. That’s enough to keep your snake acclimated to handling.

I also wouldn’t worry about him being out sometimes when he usually hides. I’ve seen that in my snakes it as well. They will go months staying mostly in their hides and then sometimes have a few days where they are just out and about a lot. They sometimes also change their behavior as they grow.

I suggest keeping a watchful eye. How high is your humidity, by the way? For corn snakes 40 to 60% is considered ideal. You should be pretty comfortable in that range as well so if it’s a lot higher than that, like over 80%, unless it’s for medical reasons, you should turn down your humidifier. If you do need it that high for medical reasons then you might want to move your snake to another room. I know for me here, in the cooler weather too much humidity is never the problem.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
bleachmanx
My corn snake is out most of the day like hes rarely hiding his temps are 77 for the cool end and 81 for the hot , he has a heat mat but i don't really use it because hes never on that side most of the time i do have a blue night light heat lamp on his hide on the heat side. Eating isn't an issue hasn't refused food unless his eyes were blue which occasionally he has eaten when he was like that before

Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
DollysMom
On the heat there needs to be a thermal gradient. I think your cool side is a little warm and the warm side slightly cool. I also think the blue light can be keeping your snake up at night. Easiest way to get a good thermal gradient for a corn snake is to use the under tank heater with a thermostat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google