CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Will having a dog inn the house be an issue

Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
PhilyD
Will having a dog inn the house be an issue

I have a 7 year old lovable mut that is pretty quiet. Shes about the size of a beagle. She is my baby and is constantly all over me. She is super cuddly.

Her scent is always all over me.

I dont have a corny yet but am researching getting one and am trying to get all my ducks in a row (I dont actually have any ducks)

I know that I need to wash my hands before and after I handle my snake but everything that I own smells like dog (and old spice) always.

Should I worry about food aggression or undue fear from my snake because of the dog. Or will the snake just get used to it?

Im sorry if this is a dumb question I've just never owned a snake before and its important to me to give my new baby the best life that it can have while simultaneously adding enjoyment to me and my family.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
67temp
I have dogs and cats. The dogs could care less about the snakes and vise versa. The cat thinks the snakes are little play toys or moving sting. She will sit on top of the locked screen lid and look down at the snakes. The snakes are still out and about at normal times doing random snakey stuff.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Twolunger
I have two rat terriers that guard my lap all the time. They peak at the corns in my rack containers but basically ignore them. The corns don't even move away from the front of the containers if resting there. I have petted the dogs before handling the corns, but put them out of the snake room before opening any containers. The corns don't react to the scent of the dogs at all.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
PhilyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I have two rat terriers that guard my lap all the time. They peak at the corns in my rack containers but basically ignore them. The corns don't even move away from the front of the containers if resting there. I have petted the dogs before handling the corns, but put them out of the snake room before opening any containers. The corns don't react to the scent of the dogs at all.
Thats good to know. My dog is basically glued to me when I'm in the house but I can put her outside when Im handling the snake (hate calling him/her "the snake") I was just concerned that that smell of the dog would anger the snake. Or freak it out.

Thank you for sharing. I'm really excited about getting my snake. I keep hearing the good news. Hoping to have it within the next month or so.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Twolunger
It's funny, I have walked around with an adult corn to show my grandkids, and I showed it to my dogs, who looked at it and walked away. But outside they go bonkers if they see a snake and chase it out of the yard. I had pet tortoises in the back yard and the dogs never even sniffed them, but if I take them for a walk and they see a Gopher tortoise they will try to attack it. It's almost like they know who should be here and who is an interloper.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
PhilyD
I totally get that. I have a southern painted turtle that I have introduced to my dog with much reservation and they were both like “whatevs” but in the yard my dog has killed countless birds, ground moles and my neighbors suicidal chicken that hopped our fence. In the house she’s my sweet little cuddle bug but you’re right. I think they know who’s family and who’s not.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Old 06-16-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
MysticExotics
It shouldn't be a problem. I have three Belgian Malinois, that like to follow me into the snake room, and often like to watch what I am doing, and what the snakes are doing. The only issue I have is my younger male has high prey drive, and likes to "bump" the enclosure with his nose when he sees the snake move inside it.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:21 AM   #8
MaryGriffith
I don't think so it would be a problem. When the dog is small then it might be little bit difficult to handle it but after you train it then it would definitely not be a problem.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
mrgrtt123
I feel like you need to create a boundary between these two animals since they are different and for the safety of each other. I have a Chowchow at home and so far he haven't dared to go near the snake.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #10
Pine
Interesting topic.
I have two adult corns and the male will crawl on my Jack Russel when they are both on a chair with me.
My female gets very tense and hard to control with the dog present.
My baby corn 14" long would like to stretch over the dogs muzzle and wrap down a little.
Tells me they are all different and you will just have to see what happens.
I do seriously think you will have no worries about a feeding bite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google