CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn With BAD Attitude

Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #41
Raven
The scent, soap or other, was one of my first thoughts when you first posted this. Try a diffetent soap? I found that diluted Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap works well... but again, scents/soaps are personal choice.

If you work somewhere that gets a specific scent on you or have another pet (or human), who knows. I work with kids and make all of them scrub with this soap before handling the snakes. Seems to work for us. It's neutral and consistant? I'm sure other opinions differ. I also keep a spot in the tank that if the snake is there, we don't mess with it. Kind of like a dog on a dog bed? I'm sure it's not the same as mammals, but all animals are capable of learning. So, there would be days the snakes would be in the "safe" spot, but they didn't isolate themselves to that spot or avoid other places.

Good luck and let us know how is going!

Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #42
Twolunger
I don't remember the name of it, but my brother used to wash with some soap or liquid that was supposed to eliminate human, or other odors. The bow hunters used that so that deer or bear could not smell them while they were in their blinds or stands. You can probably find it at outdoor stores like Cabelas.

I was cleaning water bowls the other day and one of my males flicked his tongue near my teeshirt and immediately grabbed it and wouldn't let go. Must have liked the smell of the fabric softener.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #43
Corning
I’ve read this thread 3 times now.
With regards to a behavioral study as related to morph of a corn snake.

You would need a broad control of a couple 100 snakes. Are they all from the same line or are you getting snakes from around the country or international?

Let’s say 3 sets of 100 because the bigger the group you look at the more credible it is. Cause 5/5 being aggressive could just be the personality and related to morph or the parents if from the same clutch.

In order for the study to be accurate they would all have to have he same conditions, feeding,temps, handling times.
Age is also a factor. So are you talking about adults only? How they are raised would be interfering.

So hatching to adult takes what 3 years?
You would need a grading system on aggression.
Would you do a second study on snakes that are not handled “regularly”

So many questions. Let me know if anyone plans on doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #44
Raven
I understand the magnitude of the project. I did research on mice (no mice were harmed) and aposematic coloration. I tested thousands of mice, so I understand the necessity of repeated trials. This may be where my dislike of mice came from. Some of them have a habit of biting.

The grading system is an issue but one that can easily be worked out. Controlled conditions would not be an issue.

Sounds like you are interested in working on the project. Want to help?

Old 07-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #45
Raven
As a side note to the experiment, I wouldn't want morphs of corn snakes to get labeled as being more likely to be aggressive due to their morph rather than their genetic line (like breeds of dogs have).

Old 07-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #46
Corning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
As a side note to the experiment, I wouldn't want morphs of corn snakes to get labeled as being more likely to be aggressive due to their morph rather than their genetic line (like breeds of dogs have).

That would be likely. But for fist time corn buys you could recommend one morph over the other to start with.

I now have 4 snakes because I have enjoyed the 1st one and the “relationship” however one sided in may be haha.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #47
Corning
How about a retroactive correlation study before doing a trial.

You can post the Facebook site something like for those of you with a SK corn over 3 years old how many times have you bitten.
1. Never
2. Once or a couple of times
3. At least once a mo.
4. Almost daily

I’m a nurse I has AS is applied Science. Why we do what we do in medicine has always been a great interest to me and I find the studies fascinating.
After 10 years of life I’m finally going back to get BSN and hope to get a job in performance improvement.

Classes start in 3 weeks

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you put the report part of it together.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #48
Raven
I was figuring to get the kind of numbers needed for this study it would have to involve a larger population of people and across continents, so yes general public included. For example, there are several locations where bull sharks are prevalent. In most places in Florida, they are not the nicest critter but nor are they a vicious monster. I can't remember the other 2 specific locations, but one has puppy dog friendly schools of bull sharks and the third are highly aggressive.

By giving a detailed survey (on lineage/point of purchase, how it was raised, fed, attention seeking vs avoidance behavior, etc) then maybe a series of tests on behavior and you could probably collect enough data. The study, in my opinion, should include other morphs too.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #49
maausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
The scent, soap or other, was one of my first thoughts when you first posted this. Try a diffetent soap? I found that diluted Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap works well... but again, scents/soaps are personal choice.

If you work somewhere that gets a specific scent on you or have another pet (or human), who knows. I work with kids and make all of them scrub with this soap before handling the snakes. Seems to work for us. It's neutral and consistant? I'm sure other opinions differ. I also keep a spot in the tank that if the snake is there, we don't mess with it. Kind of like a dog on a dog bed? I'm sure it's not the same as mammals, but all animals are capable of learning. So, there would be days the snakes would be in the "safe" spot, but they didn't isolate themselves to that spot or avoid other places.

Good luck and let us know how is going!
He was in shed for a while so I haven't had a chance to hold him or interact with him. Do you think there is any chance that in the future I won't need to wear long sleeve shirts and gloves to handle this snake? I really enjoy having him but it stresses me that every time I have to go and clean his cage or grab him out for any reason, I fear getting bit and dealing with his aggression.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #50
Twolunger
Life is too short to have to worry about being bitten all the time. I have males that were never handled except to clean their containers, and they don't bite. If you don't feel like you are making steady progress I'd think about trading him for a gentle corn. Someone would value a nice breeding age male, especially from Steve.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google