CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Breeding Season Behavior

Old 08-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Twolunger
Breeding Season Behavior

I sometimes read posts on this forum and wonder why my corns act differently than what I'm reading. A case in point is males that go off feed in the spring apparently due to breeding season. I've read that some males go off feed for anywhere from 2 months to 5 months. None of my males stopped eating at all despite breeding females all through the spring. I'm wondering how many forum members with multiple breeding age males have them stop eating for any period in the year?

Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Hi T - I can tell you that at the time that I had about 40 breeding males, that only a handful ever went off feeds consistently. I think the whole purpose of calling attention to the behavior is to reduce concern, or not worry about it when it does happen.

Enjoy!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Twolunger
Well, I probably shouldn't say anything else, I don't want to jinx myself next season. LOL.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 AM   #4
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Well, I probably shouldn't say anything else, I don't want to jinx myself next season. LOL.
Haha! I hear you

-Tonya

Old 08-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Twolunger
I was really shocked when I read that some were experiencing a high level of egg binding with their females this year. When I raised pigeons egg binding was usually caused by a lack of calcium. The egg shell would be too rough to pass normally. This may not be true with snakes, but just to be safe I always dust the mice fed to the females during breeding season with calcium/D3. Once in a while I also dust with vitamins. I know, I know, some will say this is unnecessary, but I haven't had an egg bound female in quite a while.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
rosette55
sexually mature female is restless

My 2 year old snake who previously would burrow in aspen shavings or remain under her hide for weeks on end is now venturing out most of the time and crawling around her 20 long tank incessantly. Is this because of sexual maturity; is she searching for a male? I years ago had an African rock python who was very tame until he reached maturity and then became very difficult to handle. My corn snake is still as mild mannered as ever with me. I feed her four rat pinkies twice a week. Thanks for any advice! Rosette55

Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Twolunger
Her actions have nothing to do with sexual maturity. There's something else going on and I wonder if it has anything to do with your feeding schedule. Feeding her 4 rat pinkies twice a week seems excessive. Rat pinkies usually weigh between 5 and 13 grams. Even at the lowest weight you are feeding 40 grams per week. I feed my adult female corns once per week with adult mice weighing an average of 24 grams to maintain them. Do you know how much your female weighs? Unless she weighs over 300 grams she is eating way too much. Internal fat is a health concern for snakes. I'm just speculating, but overeating my be the cause of her restlessness. I do have females that would eat every day if I allowed it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google