CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snake is not moving much

Old 01-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
IlaandSnake
Snake is not moving much

Hi y'all! I'm new to this thread, but figured it might be a good idea to sign on as I wasn't really planning on getting a pet, but when a sweet 5 year old cornsnake names Snake was offered to me, and after knowing that he had been moved around for pretty much his entire life I decided that I wanted to take him in and try and hive him a more steady and healthy environment.

I bought him a 4ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft enclosure, as he came to me in a 20 gallon tank which was just way to small for him. Now his vivariumis pretty empty, he has a hide on the warm side and one on the cold side, a waterdish and 3 plants, so I have ordered more stuff for him so that he does not feel so exposed.

Now I am telling you this because after moving him into his new vivarium he has pretty much only been staying in his cave on the cold side (I use a 50 watt light because he doesent seem to enjoy the warm side one bit and I figured maybe a lower heat bulb would be better, but he still doesent seem to care for it). He only comes out of his cave when its feeding time or when I physically take him out of there. I am worried there might be something wrong with him as he was much more active in his tiny tank than he is in this one.

He was active at first for a week or two at dusk and dawn (as I have read is normal for cornsnakes), but now he doesent seem to move even then. I do believe he is about to shead, as his colour have become matted and a bit dull, especually on his underside. So may this be the reason as for why he is standing so still?

Thank you in advance for your help, he is my first ever reptile, and I have tried to read up on them as much as possible, this just got me very worried.

Another factor you maybe should know about is that my housemate recently got a blue tongued skink who we found mites on, the skink passed away last week, and we are not sure if that was because of the mites or something else. Now I have thuroughly checked Snake for mites without finding any, so I am pretty sure we lucked out there, however if the skink was sick with something else, could Snake have gotten it?

Thank you for your responses

Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Twolunger
My corns usually become inactive right before a shed. When I notice any of them hiding more than usual I leave them alone until they shed. I don't think the death of the skink would have any affect on the corn, unless you used anything from the skink's enclosure for the corn, or they were placed together for any reason. Be meticulous watching for any mites on the corn. I have a magnifying glass and look over any new arrivals closely, especially around the eyes.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
Zincubus
As above really ..

For checking for mites a good trick is to wipe it down gently with a couple of pieces of slightly damp kitchen roll ..

Any mites are very easy to see on the paper ..

Anyways if it's gone a dull colour it sounds as though it's going into shed and will be very quiet for the next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google