CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Some questions

Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
SneakyDevil
Some questions

Hi!

I recently bought a corn snake, we know it isn't a "cuddle animal" but we want to take it every now and then. But, our snake "Draco" constantly buries himself, so we can't find him. We want to prevent this by using another substrate.
- What can we use, so he won't burrow himself anymore? It is a very young animal so its still small.

Also, when we change this, he will lose a big hiding spot, I have a current picture added below. What else can we use? The ground is already pretty full, but we can remove the stone.

I personally think that the terrarium may not be the best by size, but it will do for the first months I think.

He does use the coconut pretty often, and he hides in the leaves at the top often.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Twolunger
I wouldn't change anything. It takes a while for hatchlings or young corns to become secure in their vivariums. Handle him as often as possible and he will gradually welcome your interaction. Keep track of when he is getting ready to shed, as he may not want to be handled at that time. Cloudy eyes and dull looking scales are indicators. My hatchlings and young corns hide all the time, but the older ones come to the front of their containers to be handled. You will have him for many years, so be patient.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
SneakyDevil
I know that it takes some time, but we want to see him. We can't when he's underground.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk

Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Dragonling
Welcome to baby corns. :P Hatchlings are naturally more inclined to hide, as they are a tasty snack to a much greater number of animals that share their natural habitat. As he gets older you'll see more and more of him. Many naturalistic and bioactive keepers have noticed this is often especially true of animals that are offered ample passsive cover such as leaf litter and plants. You could try adding more fake vines to the floor to make the space more inviting, and I believe you can buy bags of silk leaves to make your own fake leaf litter.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDevil View Post
I know that it takes some time, but we want to see him. We can't when he's underground.

Raise him in a small tank with paper towels for substrate, and a paper towel roll for a hide. He will be easy to find and when he's comfortable being handled you can put him back in the vivarium. I never have trouble locating my hatchlings in their aspen substrate. Insert one finger in the substrate and wiggle it. If you make contact the corn will move. Try a few different places until you get movement and you found him.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
DeuceRon
Mine is just over a year old and still hides all the time. I try to handle him a few times a week and he seems to be okay with it.
At any rate, I often have to dig through his substrate and move things around to find him. It's normal behavior.

By the way, thats a really cool setup you have him in. Do you shut the lights completely out at night so he's in the dark?

Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
67temp
On top of the things already mentioned also don't forget that most corns tend to hide during the day and be most active around sunrise/sunset. You may just be catching him at a time that he prefers to sleep.

That is a nicely setup tank. If you keep him in there long enough he will probably freak you out thinking he escaped, but really he is playing a game of hide and seek behind the foam background.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
SneakyDevil
Yes I shut the light completely, that's the best I think?

We fixed the hiding in the back. There were 2 back slices (I think for fresh air or something) but he crawled in there so we closed it. It won't harm him since the entrances would be closed anyway.

I changed it now, I changed the ground and added an extra hiding spot in the top. It is a lot darker now, but that doesn't matter I guess?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
SneakyDevil
I have my corn for a little over a month now, we had a problem with mites once but we solved that.
But now he has like a black spot in front of his eyes which has bin there for I think 2 weeks. It's nowhere else so I don't think it are mites again.

Also it looks like he has some kind of circle on his eyes, does this have anything to do with shedding? He hasn't shed since I've got him and he's grown pretty much I think.
I feed him a pinky every 4 days so he should shed pretty quick now?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDevil View Post
I have my corn for a little over a month now, we had a problem with mites once but we solved that.
But now he has like a black spot in front of his eyes which has bin there for I think 2 weeks. It's nowhere else so I don't think it are mites again.

Also it looks like he has some kind of circle on his eyes, does this have anything to do with shedding? He hasn't shed since I've got him and he's grown pretty much I think.
I see this question a few times a year. The dark spot/ring just a dense structure in the eye. As for a spot in FRONT, I'm not seeing what you mean in the photo.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google