CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Suddenly Super Active

Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
dasluder62
Suddenly Super Active

A little Background:
I discovered that Joey was a girl in July 2018. She was behaving strangely and refusing to feed. A visit to the vet revealed that she had intestinal parasites and that she was a girl! A few days after that she laid a clutch of eggs. At the time, we had had her for over 6 years and as far as we knew, she had never been with a male.
I followed my husband to Germany in August 2018 and Joey was shipped here a month later. She had to be re-treated for the parasites and is now clear. She's eating fine and seems to be okay with the new enclosure. I've had a little trouble getting the temps and lighting correct, but I think we're finally good. The warm side is between 77º at night and 80º in the day, while the cool side is between 73º and 75º. Up until last week, she was spending almost all of her time in the cool side box. Last week, she pooped on the cool side box, so I had to replace it with a different hide and since then, she's been in the warm side every day.
I fed her Friday and she pooped yesterday (Saturday). It's very unusual for her to poop so quickly after a feeding. We feed her adult mice, but they seem smaller than what we used to get back in the States. So, I feed her two on alternating feedings. In other words, this week, she got just one, next week, I'll give her two.

In the last four days, she's suddenly super active. She's almost constantly moving about the cage, pushing at the screen and glass and burrowing under the substrate. I'm worried. On the one hand, it's nice to see her out of the hides, but on the other, she seems restless and I'm wondering if it's signaling that something's wrong.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Twolunger
I doubt that a corn can completely digest an adult mouse in one day. I suspect that feces was still in her system from the last feeding. My corns sometimes become very active when attempting to shed, rubbing on their water bowl or the substrate. That's not unusual but I have heard of instances where dead worms blocked the digestive tract. If she were mine I would place her in a container with tepid water, about 85 degrees, for 20 minutes. Sometimes that will trigger a bowel movement, and pass any obstruction. I've had corns pass small pieces of aspen while soaking. If nothing else, she would have a nice bath. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Dragonling
The jump in activity wasn't the parasites, it was because she was about to lay.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
The jump in activity wasn't the parasites, it was because she was about to lay.
The jump in activity happened over a month after she laid.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
Rich Z
She may be looking for a mate.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
dasluder62
A belated "Thank you" for the replies. Now, her activity level seems normal again, but she is definitely constipated. I'm going to try the warm bath and if it doesn't work - to the vet we go!

Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
DeuceRon
She could also be mad that you've figured out her true identity! Just kidding. All the best of luck to you both!

Old 04-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
ronlina
I hope all is well with her soon! Also, snakes can actually lay infertile eggs occasionally, but it's sort of rare. People often call the unfertilized eggs "slugs".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
suddenly active