CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

what do you think made you wanna become a corn snake owner/breeder

Old 10-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
darkmorning1
Wink what do you think made you wanna become a corn snake owner/breeder

what made you want to become a corn snake owner or a corn snake breeder?

i love animals and i had many from dogs and cats to gerbils and rats and others.but when is came to reptiles. i freak out. my biggest fear was Snakes! peek a boo was my first corn. wild corn since she was found at my other farm house. maybe some of you reading this might remember me posting asking everyone to tell me if peek a boo was a corn snake and i acted as if she was a rattle snake. i didn't even want to look at her. coming over my fears with corn snakes. now i have TWO more. and am looking to even get another one.

now like i said i had dogs and cats. but i didn't have the idea of getting every kind they have. Unlike Corn snake. my goodness. i want them in every color size shape and form. and i cant wait to breed my own corn snakes.

what do you think made you in to the corn snake owner/breeder you are today! lol please post

Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Chester'sDad
I've always loved animals. Steve Irwin was and is my hero. I was raised on my grandparent's farm from the age of 6 weeks. My grandparents watched me while my parents worked. My first pets were chickens, but I've always had a passion for reptiles. I was known around the little neighborhood as the best Blue-Belly catcher around. Besides the wildcaught Blue-Bellies we kept as pets, we had Green Anoles. My parents told me I could NEVER get a snake when I lived with them. I got some Bearded Dragons and bred them. But I finally got my first Corn Snake by getting straight A's for a whole year. Now I have 5. I dont think anything MADE me become a corn snake owner, besides my passion for reptiles and wildlife.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
Maize411
Talking

Hmm..well I always had a passion for animals...ALL animals..Steve Irwin was always and will always be my hero as well, when I was younger I do remember having a fear of snakes due to a scary dream I had of a pure white cobra biting me...it was weird because in my dream I could almost feel the poison going through me...I felt my body getting weaker..but just before the poison was going to kill me I woke up..I feared snakes from that point on and even cried when I found a baby ball python in my room when I was 7 (turns out the upstairs tenants were breeding pythons)..I thought it was the snake from my dream though and freaked..either way...my father was always one to make me literally face my fears..one day after I told him my of my fear of snakes he brought me to the zoo (mind you I'm only like 8 years old here..)..He brought me right up to a cobra they had and the thing stared right at me..a few minutes later they had a little show going on where they were teaching the guests about snakes and we even got to pet one of their boas...from that point on I became fascinated and always wanted one..couldn't get one till I got my own place though..which I now have..so I now have 2 corns..and going to be having 1 milk very soon...thank you dad!! :0)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
jazzgeek
As for the owner part of the question, I developed an interest in corns when I was a manager for a Petco; I saw how docile corns were, and the colors of a hatchling amel were too cool, I thought....at the time, that is.

After joining the forums here, I came across Rich Z's photo of an adult lavender blood, and thought "It would be so cool if I could make one of those myself...and that's what got me into the breeding aspect.

Of course, I'm now one of thousands with a diffused lavender project.

regards,
jazz

Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
tsst
Too be honest my 9 year old son.

I have always been around and handled wild caught snakes but never owned any.

He asked for one about 2 years ago so we did about 6 months research then got our first corn. Soon after we found this site. I was in charge of taking care of it with his help. That got me more into it. Wife was unsure at first but now she handles them some.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
batwrangler
This is my favorite picture of my siblings and me as kids (I'm the one in the striped shirt, and was about 6 at the time). Finding out I could buy f/t was all I needed to start keeping snakes instead of just admiring them when I found them.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Phoeb
My brothers flat mate had a python and a boa, and I just thought they were awesome, so I decided to start off lite with a corn snake

Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
darkmorning1
i love all your stories. the photo is really cute with all the snakes. am shocked at how young everyone was when you guys liked and held snakes. you brave souls! lol

Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Topazfyre
I really don't even know what got me into snakes. I'd always never minded them, and when I was younger (about 10) asked my mom if I could get one. She grew up with kingsnakes, so she didn't mind them. My dad didn't appreciate the amount of animals we had at the time, though, and we already had some hamsters. My mom's only condition was that I get a cornsnake, since she grew up with kingsnakes and appreciated the docile temperament of the corns way more. When I was 12 I started seriously looking into getting one. I joined this site and read a ton of articles, learning how to care for them and the different types. My hamster died when I was 13 and I was given the choice of getting one.... and I decided against it. (What was I THINKING?!) Finally last year my mom got me Kathy's Guide and I learned about the newer morphs that had been discovered since I joined, and others I simply hadn't known about. My studies in Biology helped me to understand the genetics almost instantly, which was awesome. It wasn't until this year that I finally got my first- an opal, a morph I had adored when I was younger (lavender had just recently been an established morph) and completely forgotten about somehow in my recent searches.

I guess in total it was just interest over time. Nothing really spurred my love, it just... happened.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
starsevol
I have always liked snakes. In the early 70s while in Florida on vacation my parents took my sister and me to the Ross Allen Reptile Institute. I think I was 10 and my sister was 5. We went to a "snake demo" where different snake species were shown in front of an audience. The guy onstage pulled out a huge Indigo snake, and asked if anyone in the audience would like to come onstage and hold it. To my parents shock and surprise I raised my hand! Then my sister, (who had to do everything I did) raised hers too! The snakes was bigger than she was! We were 2 of few, I tell you! My parents still have the pictures of us holding that huge endangered serpent.

I got a blue tongue skink for my 32nd birthday, in 1994, and joined my local herp club. Toby is now 13, and still doing well.

Then in 1995, I discovered the joys of frozen mice! At that time the only thing that was stopping me from getting a snake was knowing that snakes needed live mice. When frozen mice became available, all bets were off! I got my first snakes, a pair of San Felipe rosy boas, the summer of 1995. I got Calvin, my first cornsnake, as a yearling in March of 1996. A love affair began that continues to this day

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google