CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

hello im new

Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
evansheer
hello im new

I found this site when look for knowledge on cornsnakes I have about a 40 or 50 gallon terrarium and a friend brought me a 24watt terrarium Heat pad By Terra blue Professional for my snake I was wounder if its safe to use or not cant find any info on this item but it was bought from a Pet shop as I don't want to over heat my snake shes about 4 to5 foot
any info will be welcome thank you

Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Twolunger
I've seen the Terra Blue heat pads for sale on EBay and in a few pet shops. I have not found any reviews on them yet. Typically, under tank heat pads are considered reliable, and a 24 watt size is usually recommended for a larger tank, such as yours. Having said that, I would not recommend using the pad until you can assess the amount of heat being transferred through the glass. Some people us thermostats or rheostats to maintain the desirable heat on the warm side of the tank. Others argue that adding more electronic devices means more things that can go wrong. I have used both thermostats and rheostats and never had one become defective, but that doesn't mean they couldn't, so I have thermometers with probes as an extra monitoring precaution.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
SnakeCreations
Welcome and congrats on your new snake! There is a lot of good information here on this site, so enjoy your new obsession

-Tonya

Old 09-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I am of the school that "All Heat Sources" (pads, panels, emitters or lamps) should be used along with a thermostat. I have 4 heat pads 3 of them are "ZooMed" and 1 is a "Zilla" and all of them if plugged directly into an outlet will hit well over 130 degrees. I have 1 pad (can't recall which one) that hits 141 degrees. Some of the Emitters can hit 300 degrees or more.

Needless to say, I use thermostats on my pads and frequently measure the heat transfer through the bottom glass to make sure the temperature is staying around 85 degrees. (I actually have to set the pad temps to about 94 to 96 degrees, by the time the heat comes through the glass and the pad, it's 85 inside the Hide Box.)

"Back in the Day" 35 years or so ago, I did not have access to thermostats, and I used to keep all my old newspapers. I found putting about a 1 inch thickness of newspaper over the bottom of the cage, dissipated the heat down to the level I wanted for my Boa which I had at the time.

The bottom line - I would "Never" plug in a heat pad and simply allow the snake to get near it without something to dissipate the heat or a good performing thermostat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google