• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Back Into Corns

rolandslf

So after about 3 years of not keeping Corns, a friend of mine donated a pair of adult Amels to me. Breeding Season hit us 4 months later, and I paired them, witnessing 6 recorded locks in the process. On 31 December 2018 she laid 9 eggs. I will candle them tonight. Will try to post pics over this weekend. I say try because Photobucket uploads my pics, but will not post them.

I managed to get pics loaded via Tapatalk.
24dfdaabd815cef431424cbd88bd6b40.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Breeding season is always an exciting time. Seeing good eggs makes it even more exciting. Now comes the nail biting, waiting for the first pip.

I candled the eggs on Friday evening , day 5. 8 of the 9 show slight veins, with the longest egg of all showing no veins. My problem is no incubator, and ambient temps have been around 26 centigrade. I have found a spot in the house now where temps throughout today were consistent at around 28.3 centigrade. I know that temps above around 31 centigrade cause problems and issues, but at what temp would growth stop. I don't think anyone could answer, as I doubt that anyone has done a study.
f1a2146691318c3636243bf593733a96.jpg
9e573f182f76658ac06bf262f434c748.jpg

Temps between 26-28C are perfect for hatching. They do not have to be consistently at
one temp for success. I've read that higher temps like 30C can cause spinal deformities and 31C can cause embryo deaths.

Thank You so much for the reply. Set my mind at ease for a bit.

As a followup, I candled the eggs again this Friday. There has been nice growth in the eggs, a lot more red showing, with more veins visible as well. So all looks to be ontrack. Sadly I never took pics.

The key to successfully hatching eggs is to pretend that you don't care if they hatch or not. The ones you don't care about always hatch, the ones you fret over always seem to have some problem before hatching. Murphy's reptile law.

Thanks Man, I checked the eggs again on Monday which was day 22, what a difference, the eggs are a mass of deep red veins. I will now only be opening the tub every Friday evening for a brief check and to allow some fresh air in.

Despite some frequent temp, fluctuations. ( I don't have an incubator, but average summer temps here are normally around 30 celsius, this year is different though, the average temps have probably been about 27, with fluctuations from 23 to 32), the eggs are looking good on day 31.
4dfb76f0e6897e9cf19a7c32febe13dd.jpg

The eggs are on day 56 and looking good. I came home from work today and found the female had laid another clutch. 8 eggs this time of which 5 were outright slugs, I threw them out. The remaining 3 I put in the tub with the first clutch. I never realised that there was such a big difference in size.
1209c9dd1a5ca6c1ab7d5c7cfd733465.jpg

This weekend padt saw the eggs hit day 62. Nothing happening yet, candles the rggs and they look about half full of blackness. Will wait another week amd decide on whether to cut one of the eggs and see what is happening . What do yo guys think.

You should always put them in the incubator. Even if they look like slugs. I’ve had corns hatch even when the eggs looked terribly sluggish!

Make sure you’re temps are right, and stop opening the incubator so much to
Check on the eggs

Since you don't have an incubator I'd just wait and see what happens. It is not unusual for eggs to hatch out weeks after you thought they would.

I have only opened the tub every Sunday evening, which I have done many times over about 18 years of keeping and breeding Colubrids, oh, excepting for the past years that I got out of Colubrids. I am not a very patient person, so I am being tested.

I was just browsing this post and see that it was somehow not concluded. I got 2 babies that hatched, but if I did not know better, I would not think them to be siblings from the same clutch. They are doing well .
dfb8473acbd5b19e51d29f4f35d96fbe.jpg
8409c925a85bfcf794b941adeebda7c9.jpg

Back