CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Need Help on Sizing and Duration of Feeding

Old 10-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Averysmom
Need Help on Sizing and Duration of Feeding

So I usually give my 5 year old corn asf or mice between 20-30grams. The ones that run smaller I feed every 10 days and the ones that run bigger I feed every 12 days. My breeder I buy from stopped selling them and referred me to someone else. The guy I got my new asf from was low on 20-30gram asf so he gave me some 30’s-35’s. And even a 40 gram one. They look a lot bigger than I’m used to! So I’m just wondering with the 30-35’s should I continue to feed every 12 days or maybe bump it up a day or two? I just don’t want him getting fat. And then can I even feed him the 40gram one? It looks huge! I’m worried he regurgitate it!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
Averysmom
Sorry just realized I should have posted this on basic care.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Have you tried comparing the size of the mouse to the size of his body? I don't weigh my mice, so unfortunately I can't help you there, but as long as they're no more than one and a half times as wide as his widest part, he should be good to digest them. But I would definitely only feed him the larger ones on a 14 day schedule.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averysmom View Post
So I usually give my 5 year old corn asf or mice between 20-30grams. The ones that run smaller I feed every 10 days and the ones that run bigger I feed every 12 days. My breeder I buy from stopped selling them and referred me to someone else. The guy I got my new asf from was low on 20-30gram asf so he gave me some 30’s-35’s. And even a 40 gram one. They look a lot bigger than I’m used to! So I’m just wondering with the 30-35’s should I continue to feed every 12 days or maybe bump it up a day or two? I just don’t want him getting fat. And then can I even feed him the 40gram one? It looks huge! I’m worried he regurgitate it!

Thanks for your thoughts!

I've never weighed mine ( although now I'm curious lol), but I feed my 3 yr old a small rat every 2 weeks. I hope that helps in some way! She's able to get it down just fine!
Pic is Crue after eating almost 2 weeks ago; she's due this Wed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Old 10-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Averysmom
Thanks guys that info does help! I’ll stick to 14 days with the bigger ones.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:21 AM   #6
MysticExotics
I don't weigh the prey, but I do weigh my snakes. I do loosely follow the munson plan. The time in between feedings varies though, depending on my work schedule and their shed schedule.
I have fed ASF's for larger females after they lay eggs, to help them recover, some get XL Adult mice regularly, if they're over 400grams, but most of my adults get adult mice, once a week, and males get every 2 weeks or so.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Have you tried comparing the size of the mouse to the size of his body? I don't weigh my mice, so unfortunately I can't help you there, but as long as they're no more than one and a half times as wide as his widest part, he should be good to digest them. But I would definitely only feed him the larger ones on a 14 day schedule.
This is the best rule of thumb to follow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google