CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

corn snake RI timeline

Old 04-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
kdev
Unhappy corn snake RI timeline

hello everyone,

my corn snake (whose age I do not know, but I've been caring for him for 3 years now) has developed what I think is probably an upper respiratory infection. He was housed in 65-70F temperatures with a 85F hot spot for the last 4 weeks while my friend was watching him (usually I keep him at 72-77F with a 85F hot spot). I just got back 2 days ago, and his breath is audible when I hold him and he occasionally seems to sneeze/wheeze. He doesn't have any mucous outside his mouth, is vigorous when I hold him, and he ate today. I haven't figured out how to get him to open his mouth yet, so I don't know about the mucous in there though.

I've raised his temperature back up and requested a vet appointment, but their earliest available time is in 4 days because of COVID19 reducing their hours. I'm really inexperienced with the progression of RIs, but I know they can become lethal very quickly. I'm doubly worried because I don't know when the wheezing started, since I've been away for the entire month. Should I wait for the scheduled time or is it better to be cautious and try and take him in for urgent care?

Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I've seen snakes sneeze before with nothing wrong. Sometimes they can inhale some dust just like you or I. If the snake is struggling to breath or sneezing a lot you may have a point. Keep in mind, snakes in the wild live in much colder temperatures than what you are describing. I've been keeping pet snakes for over 45 years, and I've only had 1 that "Caught a Cold" and required a vet visit. It was treated with an injection of antibiotics and the Vet instructed me to raise the temperature inside the cage by about 3 degrees, which I did. Several days later the snake was fine.

I since found out, that the snake probably didn't even require the injection, but of course the Vet appreciated the money for the visit and the injection. In many cases, simply raising the temperature of the housing by about 3 or 4 degrees will aid the snake if it is in fact sick. And if the snake isn't sick, raising the temp a few degrees for a week or two won't hurt it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google