CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What Wattage Lamp

Old 08-06-2002, 09:03 AM   #1
Neil
What Wattage Lamp

I've never used a lamp to heat my corns but I was wondering about it. Does anyone here use a bulb? I wanted to know what wattage to use for a four foot viv 60? 100? 150? If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.
Neil

Old 08-06-2002, 09:05 AM   #2
Neil
Also...

I'd also like to know if it should be an infra-red lamp or whatever. Thanks.
Neil

Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
Rachel
I have a similar size tank as you and have one PYGMY bulb set up in the "hot end". They are 240 V, 15 W. Only small but do heat up nicely without being too bright. I have a clear bulb in just now but you can get coloured bulbs too. I used to have a red one which you can leave on over night and doesnt disturb the snakes nocturnal patterns. At the end of the day its up to you on what colour to use depending on whether you want the bulb on at night or day! Hope that helps!
PS. Have never used infra red, just normal pygmy bulbs!

Old 08-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #4
Neil
Thanks a lot, sounds good. 15W? Is that it? And it gets to the required temperature? Wow! Where do you get them from?
Neil

Old 08-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
bmm
wow

My 15watt bulbs hardly heat my ten gallons to 80 degrees!!!!!

I used to have a large four foot viv myself for a bearded dragon, and to reach his basking temp it took a 150 watt white basking light....red lights took about 60-100 watts.

I would think trying out a 60 watt red bulb, then moving to a 100 if need be would be your best bet.

bmm

Old 08-08-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Rachel
No I know that a 15w would hardly heat a whole tank! I use the lamp in conjunction with a heat mat. I wouldnt use a higher wattage because my snakes are very adventurous and I'd be scared that they got up to the lamp and burned themselves. Neil, you can get the pygmy bulbs from most hardware stores or from reptile shops.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google