CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Digital video?

Old 04-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #21
scottrussell
yeah, i'm pretty savy (well, used to be) with camcorders and computers...but i am still kinda confused with the whole burning/making/copying dvd things. it's pretty frusterating in my opinion. i would still push miniDV as an option if your not 100% sure you want miniDVD

Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #22
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrussell
yeah, i'm pretty savy (well, used to be) with camcorders and computers...but i am still kinda confused with the whole burning/making/copying dvd things. it's pretty frusterating in my opinion. i would still push miniDV as an option if your not 100% sure you want miniDVD

IMO, if you're going to mainly capture film with the Video Camera and then bring it onto the hard drive to edit, a miniDVD isn't a necessity. I haven't priced miniDVD-rw discs, but I'm sure they're not cheap. I know with my miniDV, things I've taken video of 2 years ago still look fine.

Most of the editing and such goes on in the computer. I find the miniDV much easier as far as just plugging it into a USB and capturing it from the computer, and then burning it onto a regular DVD-r for later usage.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #23
Rich Z
Well at this point, I'm still in learning mode. I have two types of miniDVDs (DVD-R and DVD+RW). My original goals had been to be able to take the miniDVD directly out of the camcorder and plug it into my home theater system AND to be able to take that miniDVD and use it on my home computer to read the files and cut out snippets to post on my sites. And additional use is to be able to edit the files, and perhaps make up some sort of compendium of the clips I have made over the time I will be using the thing.

Apparently not all goals can be easily met with what is available. Supposedly editing the files on the computer is easier with miniDV (tape) then it is with miniDVD (disk). But I don't have a device (or know what is available) to take the miniDV tapes and read them DIRECTLY into my home theater system nor my computer. The miniDV tapes are simply a storage device within the camcorder itself and not really a transportable medium that can be used elsewhere. However, I can hook up the camcorder directly to the home theater system itself through the A/V cables and play the miniDVD disks (and I assume this would work with miniDV tapes as well). Of course, USB can be used in either type of camcorder to send files to and from the computer.

Now, I have heard that the quality of the recording is better on the miniDV tapes as the bandwidth is greater and the compression less then what is used with the miniDVD disks. Without having both to do a nose to nose comparison, I don't know how important this would be to me. I played some test videos from the camcorder to the home theater system and was pretty darn impressed with what I saw.

When I get around to installing my new DVD burner, and get some decent editing software (a product called Womble was recommended for the files used in the miniDVD disks), then I will know a little bit more about that aspect of all this.

The fact of the matter that I got that Sony DVD403 a LOT cheaper then normal (the price at Circuit City was $150 more then I paid for it), may be incentive to keep it instead of just taking it back if I come to the conclusion (in the 14 day period I CAN return it) that miniDV tape is actually a better medium to use.

There are some things I don't like about the camcorder, however. Auto focus seems squirrelly. Probably my inexperience, but it seems to randomly pick parts of the screen to keep in focus. Also the auto gain control is very distracting when the center of attention goes outside of the sensor determining what the brightness balance of the frame should be. But these all may be things I have yet to learn how to control on this camera. Or else they are NOT manually controllable, and this is exactly the sort of thing I thought I was going to have to learn about in hands on useage. But regardless, this would be a handy little camera to have for outside shots in more standard settings then trying to get closeups of animals.

Oh another thing I learned. While watching the test videos I made within the reptile building, the audio pickup picked up all the fans, air conditioners, and air cleaners I have running there. The crickets chirping was right in there as well. All in all, the background noise was way too loud and distracting.

Oh well. So far I like it, but still not sure I made the right choice or not.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #24
scottrussell
sometimes when you buy that stuff you think of 5 thinks you wanna be able to do when you actually only ended up using one of them. why do you want to watch it on your home theatre? i'm just making assumptions, but your probaby sick of looking at snakes after taking care of 6,000 babies.. are you really going to want to watch videos of it when your finished? or will more use taken out of it by loading it on your computer for everyone else to see it? that's just my opinion about the subject, because when i videotaped stuff the primary objective was to show it to other people, after doing it for a while i personally lost interest in watching it myself...but there were always a ton of people online that would love to watch it.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #25
Rich Z
Believe me, it's a completely different situation between being over in the reptile building working with the animals and sitting in the family room with a bowl of popcorn looking at the videos. The other night when I showed the wife the clips I had captured of her leopard geckos she really enjoyed watching them on the screen.

And truthfully, when I am slinging around 6,000+ babies, I probably won't really "see" everything I need to see while I am working with them. The camera catches ALL details, some of which don't register in the brain right away. I've noticed this MANY times while reviewing the still images I have taken during hatching season.

So the capability of ease of viewing by just popping the disk into the home theater system was what I was looking for. Which is still an unknown at this point since the miniDVD I am using needs to be "finalized" before I can view it that way, and I don't have enough on it yet to do so. So I haven't even ventured into the "jungle of incompatibilities" yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google