• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Nikon vs Canon - a request

The D70 has it's drawbacks, which is interesting when considering that the D50 is it's 'smaller' sister.

For example, the D50 has usb 2.0, the D70 has usb 1.1. The D50 also has fully uncompressed NEF Raw, while the D70 doesn't. D70 does have 1/3 EV stops, while the D50 only has full 1 ev stops.

Compact flash versus secure digital, as well. Makes a difference if you've got a bunch of memory cards sitting around.

Just strange that the D50 is release later with some significant upgrades, ya know?

Like I've said from the beginning, a DSLR is great---you really cannot go wrong.

mbdorfer said:
A word about Canon quality, FWIW. I can't speak for the digitals, but I have owned both Canon and Nikon Film cameras. I sold all the Nikon stuff and still have the Canon A1 and F1. The Canon's are in every way equal to the Nikon's, if not better. Canon's optics are phenomenal and the bodies have held up well to a fair amount of abuse :wavey:

Hah! Interesting how everyone's perspectives can differ at times. Personally I had a Canon A1 myself for several years. I sold it to buy a Nikon N90S and personally felt that the Nikon lenses were a dramatic cut above what I was using with the Canon. The overriding criteria when I bought the Fuji FinePix S1 and S3 series of digital camera bodies was that I REFUSED to give up my Nikon lenses in order to go digital. The Nikon (Nikkor) lenses are superb.

Which brings up a point. If you get ANY major brand name camera body, do not then half step to save money by getting some off the wall brand lenses for it. You may not realize it right away, but eventually you will come to recognize the significant error you have made. Even if you can't see the difference in photos, others WILL be able to. The off brand lenses are cheaper priced for a reason.

Rich Z said:
Which brings up a point. If you get ANY major brand name camera body, do not then half step to save money by getting some off the wall brand lenses for it. You may not realize it right away, but eventually you will come to recognize the significant error you have made. Even if you can't see the difference in photos, others WILL be able to. The off brand lenses are cheaper priced for a reason.

I agree - The Nikkor lenses are also why I think I'll be going with the Nikon D50. I have my eye on that fisheye lens. Once I have that, and the lens that comes with the kit, I'll be set for at least a few years :)
Question about DSLR's: I like to use a polarizer with my regular SLR, are polarizers now obsolete since you can pretty much touch up the pic once it's in your computer?

You can use lens filters just as you would with a 35mm slr. I would recomend using it 1 to protect from scratches and 2 different effects or to block uv rays.

Iv got the NikonD70s, with kit lens, 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 90mm Di. (Ivnot experimented with it much just yet) It definatley helps with a better lens, much sharper pics, I have been using the 50mm the most and its a relativley cheap lens to add to your lens collection.
Whichever body you get Id say you`ll love the 50mm;-)
Good luck in your chioce
Denise

This picture was taken with the Canon 350D with a Canon EF-S USM IS 17-85mm Lens (The kit lens is quite poor)...

Floyd1.jpg

Also most of the images on my photography site were taken with this combination (Link in my sig)

I just realized this thread is still going - Thanks for the help folks :)
I got a Nikon D50 and it's wonderful to use ( I think I have a few pics uploaded in the photo gallery sections). I'm getting the Nikkor lens I have my eye on as soon as I pass my Phd exams :)

Back