CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Canon 1200 D DSLR (T5, T6)

Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #31
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Not sure what you mean by manual focus assist. I can Auto Focus or Manual Focus.

I try whenever possible to Run in Manual Mode.
It's called focus peaking on the Sony a6000, but I'm not sure if it's an option on Canon. Here's a video that shows it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VemUev-CIpM

Old 08-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #32
Karl_Mcknight
There is an option on the Canon to fire multiple quick bursts from the flash when in auto focus mode to help the camera focus in dim light or darkness, but if you're out of range of the flash or working in manual focus mode, there is nothing like what you are describing to assist your focus.

I noticed in your video link, it shows the picture being focused using the display screen on the back of the camera. I usually leave that turned off as it drains battery, and I just focus through the view finder as in the "Good Ol' Days" of film cameras.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #33
Dragonling
I do too for outdoor stuff especially, but my view finder is also digital. Keep up the good work, looking forward to more pics. Do you have a flickr account?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #34
Karl_Mcknight
No flickr account. I've never messed with it.

Actually I took a lot of pictures years ago with both Pentax and Canon "Film Cameras" when film was the only medium.

When film became obsolete I sold the 2 film cameras and bought one of those cheap Point and Shoot digitals. I really haven't taken any serious pictures in 30 years or more.

This is my first Digital SLR and I'm just getting back into the swing of it. I am fairly knowledgeable of SLR's of the film type, but it's been a learning experience with the Digital. There is a big difference, mostly with the ISO. I hate the way the digital cameras Want to boost it to let in more light, thereby ruining the "True Light" that you are trying to capture. The only way to do that is by switching to manual.

Anyway, I may some day look into Flickr, but right now I'm just having fun shooting nature and wildlife, and I don't think my skills or abilities are worthy of showing to the whole world. Ha!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #35
Karl_Mcknight
It's that time of year again......

When you start to see these guys, umm, I mean these Ladies, everywhere you go, it's a sure sign that cooler weather is coming soon.

I don't mind the spiders and seeing them from a distance, but I still kind of freak out a little bit when I walk through one of their webs and then wonder....... "Where is she?"

1st picture - ISO 200, F8, 1/500, 290mm

2nd picture - ISO 400, F5.6, 1/40, 300mm

Old 09-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #36
DollysMom
The first one is nice but I love the second one!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #37
Karl_Mcknight
Natural light, Manual selections

Was at the lake this morning as the Sun was just coming up. Very little light, this is a picture of a trail I was walking in the woods beside the lake. I did not have a tripod so I steadied myself and the camera against a tree.

All Manual selected settings as well as Manual focus - ISO 400, F5.6, 1/30, 75mm

Old 09-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #38
Karl_Mcknight
Noisy Landing and Take off

I was standing on the Dam this morning watching the Sun come up and sipping my morning coffee when this Massive 747 made a noisy landing on the rail right beside of me. I took a picture, and the Noisy thing took to the air again.

All Manual settings and focus - ISO 640, F4.5, 1/200, 130mm

Old 09-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #39
Karl_Mcknight
If you are squeamish, look away

Spiders are both fascinating and creepy to me. I hate walking through a spider web and not knowing where the spider is.

Right now I'm seeing a lot of spiders as they are fattening up for the colder weather.

I have recently posted some other pictures of spiders, but this one shows what's left of ??? something as she gorges herself on her kill. It might be a Katydid but I'm not sure. If you think you know, chime in.

I was about 9 feet away from her. This particular lens wont focus closer than 5 feet so I had to stay back far enough to get a good focus. (yeah right)

Once again all Manual settings and Focus - ISO 400, F5.6, 1/40, 220mm

Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #40
DollysMom
We'll never know for sure but looks like katydid to me. Very nice shot, Karl!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google