CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Double clutch when I didn't want it as its her first breeding season

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
J.Catherine
Double clutch when I didn't want it as its her first breeding season

The story continues on from this thread, where my female layed unexpectedly.

It was her first ever clutch and I actually got 15 fertile eggs and no slugs. Then she ate like a horse for 3-4 weeks then all of a sudden stopped. Didn't reintroduce her to male, but she was slithering all over the place like she was looking for something so I put in a laying box and low and behold, 6 fertile eggs (candled them to check) and 2 slugs.

She's looking really skinny now and a bit dehydrated? Like her skin feels sort of saggy kind of thing. Wondering if there's any way I can get her to eat sooner or drink, before she sheds again.

But yay! eggs.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
MysticExotics
You can offer a meal today or tomorrow, I usually offer one size down for their normal prey size. Some will eat, others won't. If she doesn't I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Does she have a water bowl big enough for her to soak in?

If you have NutriBAC, you can add a small water bowl (in addition to the main one) and put a little NutriBAC in it. It is a good probiotic, and can be an appetite stimulant as well.

You can keep a laybox in her enclosure with damp moss, it can help her with her post lay shed.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
J.Catherine
Offered her a brained large pinkie (as I didn't have anything except that and XL mice, and reptile shops are rare and hella expensive in my area) and she showed no interest. I'm not totally surprised, she's a sticky feeder at the best of times.

Her bowl isn't big enough for her to soak in but I'll add one in the now -- doubt she'll go for it though, she hasn't moved from her spot behind a log, except when I plopped her down beside her water bowl so she'd drink.

But when I have, on the few occasions, picked her up, she's seemed fine. I'm just holding my breath now waiting to see when she'll shed.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Some won't eat until after their post-lay she'd.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
J.Catherine
She didn't with her first clutch -- tried to persuade her with a brained pinkie but no she just stayed uneating until her shed was over. But at that point she ate like a beast.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google