CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Mulch bedding

Old 07-13-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
DustinWaller
Mulch bedding

Hey you guys my parents just got a dumptruck load full of cypress mulch. Our whole driveway is full of mulch. So they are letting me get some for my snakes . It was $148.00 so needless to say we are going to be busy putting it out. It has big huge like slices of wood mulch and it has like shreeded mulch,little slices,etc it has all of them. It also rained(has been raining for 2 weeks strait now,or more. So here are my questions.

What peaces should use,Big peaces,small,shredded or all of the above?

What if he eats a peace of this mulch?

Is it ok if the mulch is damp? my mom wont let me cook it in the oven so im using light heating to try to heat it up but its taking for ever!

Well thx and have a good day.

Old 07-14-2002, 08:52 AM   #2
Kel
Hi Dustin. Have you checked with the supplier that it hasn't been treated with pesticides/weedkiller ? We asked our local gardening superstore about their sacks of mulch as it's cheaper than buying small amounts, but they said that they chemically treat all of their mulch products. Probably being over-cautious but worth checking.

Cheers
Kel

Old 07-24-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
pdrau
You want to use the shredded mulch, not the big stick parts. I use cypress mulch available from Home Depot for $2 for 2 cu. ft. I have had no problems with it at all.

Peter

Old 08-08-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
SPJ
Can't go wrong with cypress mulch. Holds heat and humidity really well. You can get it at Walmart for $1.79 a bag.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google