CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Nikon vs Canon - a request

Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #21
Joejr14
The D70 has it's drawbacks, which is interesting when considering that the D50 is it's 'smaller' sister.

For example, the D50 has usb 2.0, the D70 has usb 1.1. The D50 also has fully uncompressed NEF Raw, while the D70 doesn't. D70 does have 1/3 EV stops, while the D50 only has full 1 ev stops.

Compact flash versus secure digital, as well. Makes a difference if you've got a bunch of memory cards sitting around.

Just strange that the D50 is release later with some significant upgrades, ya know?

Like I've said from the beginning, a DSLR is great---you really cannot go wrong.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #22
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
A word about Canon quality, FWIW. I can't speak for the digitals, but I have owned both Canon and Nikon Film cameras. I sold all the Nikon stuff and still have the Canon A1 and F1. The Canon's are in every way equal to the Nikon's, if not better. Canon's optics are phenomenal and the bodies have held up well to a fair amount of abuse
Hah! Interesting how everyone's perspectives can differ at times. Personally I had a Canon A1 myself for several years. I sold it to buy a Nikon N90S and personally felt that the Nikon lenses were a dramatic cut above what I was using with the Canon. The overriding criteria when I bought the Fuji FinePix S1 and S3 series of digital camera bodies was that I REFUSED to give up my Nikon lenses in order to go digital. The Nikon (Nikkor) lenses are superb.

Which brings up a point. If you get ANY major brand name camera body, do not then half step to save money by getting some off the wall brand lenses for it. You may not realize it right away, but eventually you will come to recognize the significant error you have made. Even if you can't see the difference in photos, others WILL be able to. The off brand lenses are cheaper priced for a reason.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #23
mcarabian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Which brings up a point. If you get ANY major brand name camera body, do not then half step to save money by getting some off the wall brand lenses for it. You may not realize it right away, but eventually you will come to recognize the significant error you have made. Even if you can't see the difference in photos, others WILL be able to. The off brand lenses are cheaper priced for a reason.
I agree - The Nikkor lenses are also why I think I'll be going with the Nikon D50. I have my eye on that fisheye lens. Once I have that, and the lens that comes with the kit, I'll be set for at least a few years
Question about DSLR's: I like to use a polarizer with my regular SLR, are polarizers now obsolete since you can pretty much touch up the pic once it's in your computer?

Old 01-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #24
PssdffJay
You can use lens filters just as you would with a 35mm slr. I would recomend using it 1 to protect from scratches and 2 different effects or to block uv rays.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #25
mcarabian
Good to know, thanks Jay

Old 01-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #26
PssdffJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarabian
Good to know, thanks Jay
No prob! I guess all my days as a nerdy yet ruggedly handsome school photographer are finally paying off. Just kidding.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #27
Denise
Iv got the NikonD70s, with kit lens, 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 90mm Di. (Ivnot experimented with it much just yet) It definatley helps with a better lens, much sharper pics, I have been using the 50mm the most and its a relativley cheap lens to add to your lens collection.
Whichever body you get Id say you`ll love the 50mm;-)
Good luck in your chioce
Denise

Old 04-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #28
NeoDude
This picture was taken with the Canon 350D with a Canon EF-S USM IS 17-85mm Lens (The kit lens is quite poor)...

Also most of the images on my photography site were taken with this combination (Link in my sig)

Old 05-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #29
mcarabian
I just realized this thread is still going - Thanks for the help folks
I got a Nikon D50 and it's wonderful to use ( I think I have a few pics uploaded in the photo gallery sections). I'm getting the Nikkor lens I have my eye on as soon as I pass my Phd exams

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google