CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Who or what got you into snakes?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
serpentina
Arrow Who or what got you into snakes?

I was just wondering what was the spark that got you all into snakes in general? For me it was my mother (gotta love her for that-thanks Mom) I was young, maybe 8 or 9 years old and we were walking outside and came across a common Garter snake. Being young I was scared at first and my mother told me about snakes a bit while she held it, to make me see it was harmless. Then she asked if I wanted to hold it and I said yes. From then on I have been fascinated with snakes and basically all reptiles/amphibians. I went on to get a degree in Biology and had a few jobs where I taught kids about animals (including snakes) I cared for some snakes and turtles that the school I worked for had, but never owned my own until now. I hope to pass this great gift my mother gave to me (love of snakes) to my kids one day. Just curious what got you started.....?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
JM :o)
Biology class.

I was absolutely fascinated by the punnet squares. Got a couple corn snakes to play with genetics a little, then got a couple mice to feed them and realized I could manipulate their colors too. Then I had too many mice.......had to get a few more corns

Then I had too many corns........

Had to get some more mice.........

Had too many mice~ got a couple BPs

Had to get more mice to feed the BPs as they grew........

Got rats...........

Had to get some more BPs cuz I had too many rats..........

Didn't have enough rats for all the new BPs.......

Do you see a pattern?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
bryanc
It was always a naturally drawn to them actually. When I was younger and living in upstate NY my brother and I and a few buddies spent summers down at this little pond catching anything and everything. Catching a snake was always the ultimate for me but I hardly caught them until I got some skills. Then I was catching ribbons, garters and racers all the time. I only kept a few of them mostly the ribbons because my Mom hates snakes.

Anyway when I got out on my own I wanted to get a rainbow boa, but my roomies freaked out so I didn't. Then like 5 years later I was living alone and decided to look into getting a snake. I did a ton of research and thought about going with garters because I hate mice, but after finding this site I was sold. I got my first snake about 6 weeks after checking everything out...and now that I have some I don't ever see myself going back to being snake-less again.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
mbdorfer
I've answered a similar post before, but I'll answer again as I can not say enough about one person in particular. When I came to Florida in 1972 at the young age of 15, I met a guy named Randy Ross, he operated a pet shop called the Clearwater Zoological Exchange that was in walking distance from my parents house. I was terrified of snakes back then, yet intrigued by them! Randy taught me that they were not evil sinister creatures and was the type of guy that would let you hang out in the shop all day and bore him with a zillion questions. One day I got my nerve up and he let me handle a Florida King, she went home with me the same day and there's been no turning back!
I didn't get into corns until the mid 80's when I was given one by someone who didn't have the room for it and I proceeded to learn all I could about them. After a few years, I had met quite a few "snake" people and was soon out in the field whenever possible. This came to a screeching halt in '85 when I took a wife and shortly thereafter, became a father. Around '89, I convinced my wife we needed a Florida King and she too became fascinated with these animals.Soon we had several kings and she became obsessed with the banded California's. After a year or two we got another corn snake and then Mike McEachern's book came out. Before I knew it we had 14 snakes in a tiny little apartment! Well that's basically it sorry for the long spiel

Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
desertanimal
I can't remember ever NOT being into snakes.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
BeckyG
It was a sort of combination of things for me. My mother was very ecologically minded and worked hard convincing the neighbors not to knee jerk react and kill snakes on sight. I don't think she really liked them that much, but she recognized how important they were to the environment. My dad used to take lots of pictures when we went to the zoo--of all the animals, but I mostly remember the snakes. When he would show the pictures, he'd ask us which kind of snake that was. I think I could identify a Gaboon Viper before I even knew who Micky Mouse was. If it was a venomous snake native to the US, he'd say, "Pay real close attention to this one."

Anyway, when I was about 12, a neighbor caught a little hognose. Thinking he was going to make me squeal, he held it out to me and asked me if I wanted it. Much to his surprise, I said yes and took it! Not knowing that snakes can go vertical, I lost that one pretty quickly...

I didn't get into corns until about 18 months ago. I was looking through a reptile book and saw a picture of a wild corn snake. I though it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. That's what started it all, but ironically, a normal is one that I don't yet have.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Baba-Lou
Ummmm My basic tom-boy interest in anything creepy crawly and scaly. lol I've wanted a corn since i was about 7-8 lol but all i got were fish, hamsters, guine pigs and rabbits....well Anything snakes eat really lol. oh and dogs and cats lol

Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
jazzgeek
I'm a relative noob. My interest in corns, and herps in general, came from managing a Petco just a few years back. I got my first snake, an amel, in August of 2004; depending if you want to progress this in a linear or exponential fashion, I'll be up to somewhere between 24 and oh, 256 snakes by 2008.

regards,
jazz

Old 05-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Tula_Montage
i guess im one of the weird ones thats always been secretly fascinated by them yet unsure and even slightly intimidated, but my first snake purchase were 2 corns a few moths ago out of total impulse... i saw them and thought ooo they are purdy "i want", so me being me, i got muahahah

Of course me also being the stupid person i am knew nothing about snakes and therefore got onto this site asap, unwise i know but id say im perfectly well educated in snake husbandry et al now

then the red tail boa i got a few weeks ago was yet another impulse, but only because i felt sorry for it trying to hide under its waterbowl (the only object in its tiny display tank)... i went into the petstore to buy some mice, came out £245 later with my gorgeous girl and all her needs

next snake is either a ball or a hognose, whichever they get in stock first

Im officially addicted...

Old 05-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Penman6668
My son wanted a snake for his birthday. After trying to convince my wife for a long, long, long time we went to the reptile show and got Firebolt from PtDnsr (Katie).
I just got my second snake this weekend. A two month old Ball Python, which my daughter named Cindy. I wanted a really cool name but she chose Cindy and since there is no arguing with women especially a 6 year old, her name is now Cindy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google