CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

aspen/eco earth

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Asbit
Myself, right now I have 5 viv's going. Each one is decorated a bit different.

1. Artemis Snow Motely...approx 3 yrs...377 gms.. is in a 30 gal long...she has a large water dish, a turtle corner ramp for a hide on the cool side, a log in a v shape covered with fake vines in the middle for another temp gradient and a large hide on the warm side, aspen bedding.

2. Aphrodite Reverse Okeetee... approx 8mths...77 gms ...also a 30 gal long... she has an all in one hide, as suggested by Kathy Love and can bee seen herehttp://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...714#post905714(complete with instructions so that you can make a hatchling feel safe and secure in a large tank right from the start and not have to purchase more than one)....with it she has a large water bowl(ever since day one..@15 gms) and a couple of Egyptian type decorations(she is my 10 yr olds to replace the first snake), aspen bedding.

3. Hera..Caramel with hets... 12 gms ..in a 20 gal reg.. with all in one hide, small ceramic cat food dish for a water dish, and a piece of grape vine to climb and fake vines covering it for extra covert movement as she is shy, and a fist sized pond rock for crawling around to help with shedding, paper towel bedding until at least 15 gms, then aspen bedding.

4. Zeus...Normal with hets...11 gms ..in a 10 gal reg... with all in one hide, small ceramic cat food dish for a water dish, magnetic wall ledge hidden by fake vines, fist sized pond rock to help with sheds and a fake spikey plant to crawl in also to assist with sheds, paper towel bedding until at least 15 gms then aspen bedding.

5. Kratos...Butter with hets...8gms..in a small plastic critter keeper, with all in one hide, small ceramic cat food dish for a water dish, small grape vine to climb, small spikey plant to help with sheds and and half fist sized pond rock as well, paper towel bedding until at least 15 gms, then aspen bedding.

The last three were recent purchases but I did not expect them to be so small esp once they arrived and I found out their hatch dates, but the breeder I got them from must have been only maintenance feeding to keep them alive for them to have been that small and the feeds and hatch dates to have been accurate, hence the different substrate and the extra shedding aids and the fact that we do not do anything with them except feed, water and clean their viv's right now.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
wliob
Your setups all sound really cool... how do your magetic rocks work.. are they nice or do that fall down a lot by the weight of the snake..I was thinking of buying some of them. I like the ones that have holes in them and look like hides... so far I have everything I think I need for my corn.. I have aspen bedding. Heat mat. Themostat. Digial temp . Water dish. But all I need is some decrotion and some hides

Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Asbit
I have a magnetic rock ledge and those magnets are so strong that there is a warning on the package to slide them up the glass to the place where the ledge is not let them pull toward each other or they can break the glass!

There are different sizes that hold different weights. Just check the packaging. Personally I have not bought the hide one because I just use some foliage over the ledge and then they get foliage and a ledge and the foliage is usable for decoration and hiding spots where it falls. I like to use things that have multiple purposes, saves money.

As well you can "DIY" do it yourself, with the foliage, much cheaper than buying it ready made at the pet shop. This way you can also pick colors you think will complement your snake, pet stores only seem to offer green.

1. Purchase some foliage that you like from a place like Walmart.
2. Purchase a small reclosable tube of clear bathroom silicone or aquarium silicone.
3. Purchase some small suction cups(preferably ones with the holes in the back where you can put some of the foliage through to attach them).
4. Purchase some light crafting wire.
5. Cut several different lengths of foliage, slide your suction cup onto your foliage and near the top use some crafting wire to secure the suction cup and wire the foliage together.
6. Where you cut your foliage, if it has wire in the plastic, use silicone to reseal and protect the snake from any sharp ends.
7. Cover the craft wire with silicone.
8. Let dry 48 hrs to ensure that the silicone is not giving off any toxic fumes(if you want to be really safe wait 72 hrs).
9. Suction cup to where you want in your viv and enjoy.

I am currently in the process of making some of the foliage myself but can not find the suction cups in my small city, the next city over carries them in the craft department of Walmart but that is 1.5 hrs away one way, so just waiting until my next trip there.

Later today I will post pics of each viv one this thread for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
wliob
Oh ok.. thanks a lot asbit.you always seem to help.. I am looking forward to seeing the pics.. also based on everything I said I have for the tank. Would you say I am all set or am I still missing a lot or putting things together wrong. And do your corns really climb on the ledges...... how high do you have it in your tank.. and can corns even climb that mucch or that well... I heard somewhere that pythons and boas climb the most.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Asbit
wliob

As promised here are pics of all the vivs. Each of them have some sort of backing or paper on at least the back and for the little snakes the sides as well, so that they feel more secure when out exploring.

1. Artemis's House-30 gal long -She can hide under the orange leaves(on top of the turtle corner), under the turtle corner, behind the log in the middle under the green leaves and in the hide on the right and ahe has a large water bowl. She is the 3.5 ft 377 gm snake.

2. Aphrodite's House-30 gal long-She has an all in one hide, a large water dish and some simple decor that my 10 yr old picked out as she is technically his. She is approx 1.5-2 ft and 77 gms.

3. Hera's House-20 gal reg-She has an all in one hide and a pond stone and grape vine branch hiding under her fake plants, so that if she wants to get exercise she can under cover, finally a water bowl.

4. Zeus's House-10 gal reg-He has an all in one hide, a spiky plant and other fake plants which hide his rock and magnetic ledge, last but not least a water bowl.

5. Kratos's House-Small plastic critter keeper-he has an all in one hide(made from a roll out of the center of a plastic wrap roll), spiky plant and grape vine branch, a rock and a water dish.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Asbit
wliob

To answer your question, about using the ledge, the cali king used it lots once we put fake plants over it for cover. I only just put them up for cover over the shelf for Zeus so I have yet to see if he will sit up there, I have seen him slither over it though.

Corns can climb, in fact the top to pics in the last post, those tanks have a lip at the top and little corns love to climb up and rest in them. Some where on here, there are pics of them doing it. As well someone, sorry I can not remember who, made little raised hides out of suspended toilet paper rolls and took pics of the little corns in them. So yes they can climb, if they feel like it. Some will, some won't.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
wliob
Thanks so much for the pics they helped a lot.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Asbit
Your welcome anytime.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google