CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Curious batch of hatchlings at Petco?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Lycari
Curious batch of hatchlings at Petco?

Well, I went by Petco today to have another look at thier snakes and make sure they're in good condition, which they are, though the Petco people seem to think they're too small to handle whole pinkies for some reason and therefore feeds them parts instead. However, while I was looking at them, I realized they couldn't be normals because the eyes were "ruby", I think it's called. Anyway, the eyes are completely red. They also don't seem to have a ventral pattern (could be it was just really faint) and lack any black on their pattern; they're just red and white. From my research, this would make them Amels? Or are there other kinds with the same traits? I'll be trying to find the answer myself, but I just don't have the time to carefully examine pictures of every morph out there. :P

I was kicking myself all the way home for forgetting my cellphone and, this, my way to snap a picture of them. Anyway, I'm just curious, if anyone would like to answer. I'm very new to the different morphs, so it's always nice to hear more about the possibilities.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
airenlow
I would guess Amel...maybe Candy Cane. It could also be a nice Hypo baby, but they have darker eyes.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
DMong
Being only red and white with "ruby-red" eyes would definitely make it an amelanistic animal. It could definitely be a "CandyCane" which is simply a line-bred "Miami" phase corn that normally have gray to their background color scheme in a normal non-amel animal. When the gray is absent because of the amel gene being present, you are then generally left with a whiter background to the snake. The saddle blotching can range from deep rich reds to an orange/red.

~Doug

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google