CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

the Palmetto morph-differnt topic?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
StarpphireEnigma
Question the Palmetto morph-differnt topic?

i couldnt see the image in the palmeto topic above, but from what i gather, it doesnt seem to be the same as the one i discovered today- please correct me if im wrong or send me images of the other

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/speci...tata/palmetto/

either way, most gorgeous snake

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
zmtab
that snake is very pretty someone just posted that on fb or was that you lol :-) id like to have a nice snake like that one day

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
StarpphireEnigma
nope- ians vivarium did hence why i shot over here it looks like its the same snake from the other topic ( found pics) still, i love to bring ians vivarium over here when i can so people can check out the web site

Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarpphireEnigma View Post
nope- ians vivarium did hence why i shot over here it looks like its the same snake from the other topic ( found pics) still, i love to bring ians vivarium over here when i can so people can check out the web site
It is the same adult. The hatchling was of a different one that Don posted on the original thread about the trait.

dc

Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
StarpphireEnigma
thats just an amazeing animal! i knew it was Don's since his name was on the photo, i was just brought to its attention today by a facebook post by ians vivarium and it took me a while to find the photo link elsewhere- thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
atmox
I've been breaking my head over this, i swear i saw this morph before listed somewhere as a paradox snow some months ago but i can't find it anywhere now.
Also i can't understand all the difficult words in the original post here but i think if you breed it into other morphs it wouldn't change the white but the speckles. Unless this morph was discovered while aiming for blizzards. If I'm correct this would mean if you breed a blizzard Palmetto you would get something that looks like a leucistic corn snake. And that would be awesome 'cause i love white snakes!

Anyway i also really love the palmetto but it's way too expensive for me now, lol.

Ooh and i've been using ians vivarium for a long time now and i think many members here use it too.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
I've been breaking my head over this, i swear i saw this morph before listed somewhere as a paradox snow some months ago but i can't find it anywhere now.
Also i can't understand all the difficult words in the original post here but i think if you breed it into other morphs it wouldn't change the white but the speckles. Unless this morph was discovered while aiming for blizzards. If I'm correct this would mean if you breed a blizzard Palmetto you would get something that looks like a leucistic corn snake. And that would be awesome 'cause i love white snakes!

Anyway i also really love the palmetto but it's way too expensive for me now, lol.

Ooh and i've been using ians vivarium for a long time now and i think many members here use it too.
Firstly, The Palmetto was not discovered in a breeding project. The original male was WC. Here is a link to how it came to be.

http://cornsnakes.net/snakes-for-sal...category_id=68

Secondly, there have been many Paradox Snows of varying "looks" and degrees of "speckling", but none have ever proven to be genetically reproducible. That is why this gene is special, it has been proven to be simple recessive.

Lastly, at this point we have no idea how morph combos will look down the road. They may all be pretty much clones of what we already see but with colored speck (or flecks if you prefer). It is way too soon to know how it will look down the road. So far there are only three clutches and they are all het duaghter's bred back to dad. Who knows, it may be a polygenetic trait and we may be able to line breed for larger specs of coloration, maybe not? Only time will tell.

dc

Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Ssthisto
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
if you breed a blizzard Palmetto you would get something that looks like a leucistic corn snake. And that would be awesome 'cause i love white snakes!
A Blizzard Palmetto would most likely be a red-eyed white snake, pretty much indistinguishable from a Blizzard.

Now, if it works like I suspect it does - that morphs will change the colour flecking - then for a leucistic-lookalike I'd probably go for something like hypo charcoal stripe palmettos... a double-dose of reduction-of-black-pigment-effect genes, plus a reducing-red/yellow-pigment trait.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google