• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

BUF gene

Alright I am going to go now but let me just say, let he who is without wrong cast the first stone. Jiminey, can't get this thread to stay away from those two bickering at each other. Sigh.

I agree. Anyhow, can we please keep this on track or will I need to take this elsewhere?

you just don't know when to shut up do you? It was YOU who brought up something that happened over six years ago on a totally different forum! Grow up Brent! you can't see the forest for the trees! Don't act like you didn't say anything nasty in your replies to this thread, and don't even try to pretend your all innocent! Knock it off!
Yep, I did get nasty AFTER you opened your mouth and stuck your nose into the discussion with your snarky attitude. Reading isn't your first skill is it? Bring your shutup. You gonna start threatening me again too? Maybe shoot the little birdy?

I was staying on topic all the way until you took some made up offense at poor charles being "picked on". How much does he pay you to do his monkey chores on other sites? You're his biggest defender. The saint. The disciple.

D80

and wow, who has baggage? your bringing up yet another incident! Wow, talk about calling the kettle black...

And Brent, as much as you want to, you did not keep as nice an attitude about it as you claim. We all smelled that one.

besides, I only come out with a post like this every year about this time. you wouldn't believe all the book sales it generates. This post is popular. Now so is the book. Your welcome Chuck.
:sidestep:

This is getting way too weird for me. There is clearly something here other than varying opinions on whether buf = het for caramel or not.

the original Buf WAS het for caramel as I understand it.
But it produced Caramels AND more Bufs.
Well, if that is the case, with all the variation we can see in any specific morph, isn't it possible that the original buf was actually just a different looking caramel, actually homo caramel and not just het caramel? It would explain why both caramel and buf offspring were thrown - it would be just some normal looking caramels and some "buf" looking caramels? I don't know - I am by no means a genetic expert. Just thinking out loud so to speak.

Well, if that is the case, with all the variation we can see in any specific morph, isn't it possible that the original buf was actually just a different looking caramel, actually homo caramel and not just het caramel? It would explain why both caramel and buf offspring were thrown - it would be just some normal looking caramels and some "buf" looking caramels? I don't know - I am by no means a genetic expert. Just thinking out loud so to speak.

Yes, it's possible, particularly since the original did come from caramel lines.

It's also possible that buf is in fact a new gene, but this has not been definitely proven by published cross to the best of my knowledge. One of the original people involved with buf (slangenbroed) did do test crosses, but he omitted a cross that was needed to distinguish buf as a stand-alone gene. This cross was in fact requested repeatedly by many who were interested in determining whether or not buf is a gene, but wasn't done for whatever reason. Slangenbroed is no longer involved in the hobby. Apparently Mr. Pritzel has identified buf as a new gene in his 2010 book. We await further enlightenment.

That, in a nutshell, summarizes several years of information, disinformation and misinformation for those who are new to the whole buf discussion.

FWIW Slangenbroed mentioned on "the other site" that he did not get rid of his Buf specimens, so further tests *can* be done to determine if this is a new gene. But I doubt the necessary test breedings will be attempted any time soon...

Lets try to keep this discussion to the "buf" thing and not other stuff....and I don't care who threw mud first.

So....to lighten the mood.....

onto the buf....

I bred it to caramel and it produced a pure black corn with a white stripe....that's why no one wants to admit to this breeding...just too cool of a morph :sidestep:

...and if you believe that....I'll sell you hets! ;)

the problem I see with "camel" is it is too close to caramel/carmel. So not only would it be very close in color, but also in name. People could easily confuse the 2 if they were not very familiar with morphs...or people could easily typo carmel/camel. I think buff would be tolerable (if it does indeed prove out to be a morph), I just don't like "buf", it brings out the grammar nazi in me. Then again, I don't like "snopal" either.

Back