• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What would come of this pairing?

Drexan89

As i stated in my member introduction, i would love to eventually own a snow corn and a creamsicle corn down the road. I would also be extremely interested in breeding them too, so my question is this: When it comes to wanting to pair these two, what would be the outcome? would my offspring come out as snows? would they come out as creamsicles? or would i have a hybrid on my hands? i'd love some insight on this :wavey::wavey:

a creamsicle is a hybrid. So breeding with one will make more. Even to a snow I believe it will produce Amels het anery but still hybrid origins

Not hybrid origins, HYBRIDS.

So when i'd go to sell the offspring, i'd never be able to advertise them as either snows or creamsicles? I'd have to label them as a snow/creamsicle hybrid?

thank you for the replies btw. i'm very foreign to these parts of biology

Creamsicles _are_ hybrids by definition.

If you breed a cornsnake to a creamsicle, the offspring are hybrids. They may be amel or snow, but you'd still have to sell them as hybrids.

Creamsicles _are_ hybrids by definition.

If you breed a cornsnake to a creamsicle, the offspring are hybrids. They may be amel or snow, but you'd still have to sell them as hybrids.

ok thank you for the advice. Now my last question i have is, i've read that when a snake lays a clutch, you can separate the eggs but you aren't allowed to turn/roll them. is this true?

You don't need to separate the eggs. There is no reason to. Fertile eggs stick together in a clump to prevent them from rolling and to make the harder for predators to swallow. By separating them, you risk damaging and killing the eggs.

A study was done in which the eggs were turned. The hatchlings showed no ill-effects.

So when i'd go to sell the offspring, i'd never be able to advertise them as either snows or creamsicles? I'd have to label them as a snow/creamsicle hybrid?

thank you for the replies btw. i'm very foreign to these parts of biology

Drexan, I just wanted to throw my .02 cents in here cause I think you are misunderstanding something (I could be just mis reading you)

I think when you say "hybrid" you are thinking of a "hybrid" between a snow and a creamscicle, as in, if you bred an anery to a normal the offspring would be "hybrid" anery/normals. This is not the case: Snow..anery..amel...charcoal..etc etc those are all "morphs", IE different genetic representations of the same species of snake (Pantherophis guttatus.... corn snake)

HOWEVER the "creamscicle" is NOT a corn snake. It is a hybrid, meaning it is a crossing between two species. It is a cross between a corn snake (Pantherophis guttatus) and a great plans rat snake (Pantherophis emoryi) so anytime you have a "creamscicle" in the mix, all offsprings are hybrids because they have emoryi blood in the mix. Make sense?

If you breed a creamscicle (an amel cornsnake/emoryi hybrid) to a snow corn (amel and anery) you will get 100% amel snakes that are 75% corn 25% rat hybrids. And they would look a lot like corn snakes, which makes things very difficult for people purchasing them down the line (not knowing they have emoryi blood in the mix) so really its best to stick with either all corns or all creamsicles :)

If no one has showed it to you this site is awesome: http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/ You can read about all the different morphs and what traits a snake needs to carry to show a certain morph. For instance, the snow you want is a snake that carries the traits for both Amel and Anery at the same time. Once you know what you want you can plug in their genes to the corn calculator (www.corncalc.com) and get a projected estimate of offspring. It takes a little bit to understand but I promise if you just stick with it and read all the articles you will get it down in no time.

If your ultimate goal is to produce snows and creamscicles, I would get a pair of each and not mix them.

Good luck! :)

Drexan, I just wanted to throw my .02 cents in here cause I think you are misunderstanding something (I could be just mis reading you)

I think when you say "hybrid" you are thinking of a "hybrid" between a snow and a creamscicle, as in, if you bred an anery to a normal the offspring would be "hybrid" anery/normals. This is not the case: Snow..anery..amel...charcoal..etc etc those are all "morphs", IE different genetic representations of the same species of snake (Pantherophis guttatus.... corn snake)

HOWEVER the "creamscicle" is NOT a corn snake. It is a hybrid, meaning it is a crossing between two species. It is a cross between a corn snake (Pantherophis guttatus) and a great plans rat snake (Pantherophis emoryi) so anytime you have a "creamscicle" in the mix, all offsprings are hybrids because they have emoryi blood in the mix. Make sense?

If you breed a creamscicle (an amel cornsnake/emoryi hybrid) to a snow corn (amel and anery) you will get 100% amel snakes that are 75% corn 25% rat hybrids. And they would look a lot like corn snakes, which makes things very difficult for people purchasing them down the line (not knowing they have emoryi blood in the mix) so really its best to stick with either all corns or all creamsicles :)

If no one has showed it to you this site is awesome: http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/ You can read about all the different morphs and what traits a snake needs to carry to show a certain morph. For instance, the snow you want is a snake that carries the traits for both Amel and Anery at the same time. Once you know what you want you can plug in their genes to the corn calculator (www.corncalc.com) and get a projected estimate of offspring. It takes a little bit to understand but I promise if you just stick with it and read all the articles you will get it down in no time.

If your ultimate goal is to produce snows and creamscicles, I would get a pair of each and not mix them.

Good luck! :)

Wow heatwave, that's the kind of in depth answer i was actually hoping for! i sincerely appreciate your help on this topic. see, i wasn't aware that the creamsicle was itself a cross species hybrid and not an actual true corn. Even though i love the color scheme, I wish to breed corns and not hybrids. I believe i shall go with my original choice of a Ghost and a Snow for breeding purposes. I still greatly appreciate your help, and i definitely will use the site you recommended :)

No problem :) if you ever have questions feel free to private message me on here and I'll help you out!

Wow heatwave, that's the kind of in depth answer i was actually hoping for! i sincerely appreciate your help on this topic. see, i wasn't aware that the creamsicle was itself a cross species hybrid and not an actual true corn.

I have a hybrid also (Ultra anery), which I knew nothing about until I found this site and read up about morphs and hybrids. Ian's viv is an excellent site, definitely helped me out a ton.

Good luck to you with breeding! I've received very helpful advise here which is so appreciated!

Back