CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Retained Spectacles

Old 12-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
ONPOutreach
Retained Spectacles

Hello! I have an Eastern Indigo (sorry, I know not a corn! but I do have a corn and eastern rat in my collection). She had an incomplete shed recently - she has deformities - and I soaked her to help. She was able to get everything off except for her spectacles. In reading the sticky thread about shed issues, Nancy had mentioned that retained spectacles can be hard to deal with. I couldn't locate other info on what to do. Can anyone advise?

Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
crackerhead
If it is the first time the spectacles have been retained, thus there is only one layer of stuck shed, I'd leave it alone and wait for the next shed cycle. I say this because you said you soaked the animal and still did not succeed in removing the eye caps. Given your inexperience with the situation it would probably be best to leave things alone. Usually the caps come off with the subsequent shed as long as the proper humidity and a rough surface to rub against is provided. Trying to mechanically remove them at this point can cause more damage than good. Of course if waiting it out is not desirable then a trip to a good exotics vet may be in order.
Best of Luck,
Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
eye, incomplete, shed, spectable