• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Been out shopping...... HELP!!!

adriel

hi all .....
once again i saw out the whole of yesterday sourcing for stuff for my soon to come pet.....
however in terms of sucess i was in the unsucessful end of things....
was looking for some sort of a heat option for the tank and the only option i saw was zoomed's heat rock (no reheostat), some heat lamps, and some heating wires......
any ideas which would be the best option to choose.....read here somewhere that heat rocks are not advisable......
can someone give me links to shops that sell heating pads.....

cheers .....and remember to do the xmas shopping soon....
adriel

Burns Baby Burns

Heat rocks can get really hot and burn your baby.

An undertank heater, UV light, and temp gauge work nicely together.

As far as websites for heating sources go, I'm sure other folks could give you a lot more leads than I can.

Good luck with your new snake!

- Suzanne.

Under Tank Heat Pads

Here's a link to a place that has under tank heat pads: http://www.apetmall.com/worldpets/heatpads.html

Do not apply the heat pad directly to the tank, however. It gets VERY hot that way. I applied my UT heater to a melamine cutting board, put the little rubber feet that come with the heating pad on the bottom of the four corners of the cutting board so that air can circulate between the cutting board and the counter it is sitting on. This reduces the risk of fire. Then set the aquarium on top of the cutting board. If I have made this confusing, then let me know and I will take some pictures of how I have mine set up.

Oh yeah - if you just have a 10 gallon aquarium, the 8 x 8 heat pad is big enough.
Good luck!

thanx all for the great advice.....looks like i may have to source from overseas if my this little experiment doesn't work.....

today i tried using my lava lamp as a sorce of heats for the little guy....by using my "accruate-not" clock thermometer it reads 30degree celsius..thats abt 86 F....and thats with the aircon on.....now i was just wondering....day time wouldn't be much of a problem as temp are around the 29-30 mark all the time.....but at night with the air con on....it goes to abt 26C or 78.8F.
so is it necessary to have the light on the whole night????wouldn't be be too bright for these guys....wouldn't wanna sleep wif the lights on if i were them......
cheers

Re: Burns Baby Burns

SB Suz said:
Heat rocks can get really hot and burn your baby.

An undertank heater, UV light, and temp gauge work nicely together.

As far as websites for heating sources go, I'm sure other folks could give you a lot more leads than I can.

Good luck with your new snake!

- Suzanne.

Snakes don't need UV lights.

Adriel - 78-79 degrees F is just fine for a night time temperature.

78.8 degrees at night is certainly not too cold for corn snakes. :) Corns are not tropical, so they don't need to have it really hot all the time. The low 70's would be fine for overnight temperatures. My adult corn spends most of his time on the cooler side of his tank where it's about 75 degrees, during the day. Since it sounds like your room will never get that cool, just make sure you always have fresh water available.

ahahah ya....rooom will never be that cool on its own....
poor chap will probably be sliding around in a sauna......i was actually thinkin of puttin a ice pack below the tank (on the cool side) not sure how well that will bring down temperatures.....also did anyone use a heat pad on one of hose tanks that has a black plastic at the bottom of their tank...apparantly it is the norm here...was wondering if that would prove to be too hot for the plastic to handle
cheers
adriel

I use a UTH under my tupperware containers and they're fine. They dont' get hot enought to melt plastics.

hi all.....can someone please tell me where i can buy a UTH. A shop that is willing to freight overseas.
also wats a good UTH brand?? price etc etc.....
its for a 2 ft tank.....sorri for the many questions...
cheers

ZooMed is a good brand... I use Exoterra UTH's. I don't know anywhere that ships overseas though. Sorry

Back