CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

big DIY...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
xreinx
big DIY...

size... 2X2X6 feet.
so far.. two shelves, 1 hot shelf. glass.
set up for one pump, one filter.
unseen in the pictures, but two covered vents and a tiny fan on top for air intake.

I plan on adding a waterfall cascading from one cuplike ledge to another, starting on the top right wall, dropping down to the left wall to finally fall into the bottem of the vivarium.

Having problems with;
1) ordering Round glass thick enough for the top of the viv and heat resistant enough to keep from cracking,
2) figuring out where the Blockage for the pump filter is located (may have to just do a PVC pipe connected to the back, rerouted to the outside of the viv)
3) and finding finding the cups for the waterfall, may have to just Make my own.
4) finding Lights that will reach all the way to the bottem of the Viv. may have to put a place for hidden lights, down near the bottem.

I know you all have good Ideas, I like this website. cause it Opened my eyes and showed me the light.. some months AFTER I sarted My project (they make it look so easy).. and thanks again to the people for the front loading Tank ideas, ive been looking for that Idea for a long time now.

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/how...waterfall.html

any other Ideas before I start grouting it? I know I missed some important things, but I just dont know what they are yet... about ready to call it quits. (I know I am so close to finishing, but still so ready to just quit)

FYI Its SO much Easyer to use polystyrene = Styrofoam, and a Hot knife! it will cut the cost and Time in half! (learned that 300.00+ dollars and 5 months invested into the project) And it will make a much better background, witch shower grout will readily stick to, to make a Nice thick shell that you can easily coat with a nontoxic coating. (project is taking me nearly a year to compleat)

Really Starting to hate this project. it may end up out on the sidewalk after I finish it, with a forsale sign slapped across the glass.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
knox
This is going to be fun! Keep the pics coming...

Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
xreinx
er.. ok, sure, more pics. and it hasent been fun.. its been a nightmare. A 3 week project turned into 10 months. And its not even cornsnake worthy. but sure, more pics.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
xreinx
pics this time

had to crop a lot, but you get the idea.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
knox
It sure looks like a lot of work... Don't you hate it when things don't go as planned?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
xreinx
yea, I tried out the water hose.. and found it blocked.. Somewhere under all that insulation foam, the water wasent going threw. the pump I was using ended up in the trash due to the amount of time I had it plugged in and the water just trickling threw, I tried it before I installed the tube and it lifted the water the entire 6 and a half feet Just fine.. I learned, big time, PVC all the way, it saves time, and you can work around it if you put it in first.

oh and get this.. I started a SECOND project some months back.. the same kind, except it is made from glass (got a free tank that is 5 feet long, the back is cracked in places, and it isnt sealed, but I figured I could work around that) so... thats sitting off to the side.. I am NOT touching that one though, until this one is finished.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
xreinx
where should I put the PVC pipe? inside or along the outside? its been driving me nuts, Id like to make it easyer for me to deal with if something goes wrong.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
knox
Then definitely on the outside...

Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
wstphal
You are building a waterfall viv for a CAT??

Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
xreinx
pish no, I cant keep him out of there, they both sharpen their claws on the foam, he jumps around on all the shelves, (accually broke one the other day, he apparently is a fat kitty) the other day he was walking around the top, and I heard a snap, so I think its leaning to the side now.. if you look at the support pole, its bowed inwards. It was going to be for my snakes, but I put it on its end... and the snake tank Idea kinda went out the window. so now, its going to have a bottem that can hold water, and have a waterfall... if I can ever finish it..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google