• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ghetto Hatchlingt Rack!

CornBoy

16 tubs: $8 at Walmart
14 ft Zoo med cable: $12
16 tub rack: FREE

So far, so good! :cheers:
15 out of 16 occupied. It's been so warm here, I only have had the heat on 4 or 5 times in the three weeks since birth. Shopping for a thermostat.
Thanks for looking!
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 426
Hey that works I would just be careful those holes look big enough for a little one to stick there head in. Good Luck.

Thanks taxman! holes are 1/8"
Thanks tula! Have a Jaeger for me! :)

I think what she was trying to say was
"You have an unregulated heat cable on a highly flammable surface? That's just ASKING for trouble, and if something happens, you'll have no one to blame but yourself."

I agree with her. I implore you to reconsider this design to go for something a bit sturdier. Cheaper isn't always better.

I think what she was trying to say was
"You have an unregulated heat cable on a highly flammable surface? That's just ASKING for trouble, and if something happens, you'll have no one to blame but yourself."

I agree with her. I implore you to reconsider this design to go for something a bit sturdier. Cheaper isn't always better.

Hi,
Thanks! The babies are doing great! Sold some and more pippies coming soon to take their place in the rack. This is the best pet breeding experience I've ever had! :D
Yes, thanks, it has a rheostat now.
Sorry to inform you, paper is not as flammable as you think! :)
Pine and other woods ignite at a lower temp. Did you know that?
Do you house your snakes in plastic in your rack? Sure you do. Did you know your favorite plastic tubs would melt to a puddle before the PAPER corrugated board would catch fire? Apparently not! :)

Who said cheaper is better? Not me, I'll leave that to each his own! :D
Cheers
Robbie

Hi,
Thanks! The babies are doing great! Sold some and more pippies coming soon to take their place in the rack. This is the best pet breeding experience I've ever had! :D
Yes, thanks, it has a rheostat now.
Sorry to inform you, paper is not as flammable as you think! :)
Pine and other woods ignite at a lower temp. Did you know that?
Do you house your snakes in plastic in your rack? Sure you do.
Did you know your favorite plastic tubs would melt to a puddle before the PAPER corrugated board would catch fire? Apparently not! :)
You certainly do like to make assumptions, don't you? It makes you sound like a pompous know it all. Did you know that? :)

Who said cheaper is better? Not me, I'll leave that to each his own! :D
Cheers
Robbie

Personally, I think it's incredibly rude that you're attempting to belittle people who were showing concern for your animals.

HOWEVER, I'm glad that you're using a temperature regulator now.

Personally, I think it's incredibly rude that you're attempting to belittle people who were showing concern for your animals.

Funny how people see things differently. :D
You flame me unjustly and then call me INCREDIBLY rude for defending myself. Nice.
So Funny! :)
Have a nice day Bud!

Funny how people are concerned for health and safety of your snakes and you bow up at it.

Cheaper is not always better. There is a reason certain things are done a certain way.

Both Robbie and Tula were trying to help you see that there are serious flaws in the design.

Cardboard Hatchling Rack

Both Robbie and Tula were trying to help you see that there are serious flaws in the design.

OK
Just for the sake of the thread, because it will stand as a resource, let's try again! :D

The combustibility thing has been debunked, if there are any other flaws, serious or not, can we get on with this?
Thanks!

There is no way that could be safe in anyway shape or form....Im baffled you cant see that. Take away the heat cable and put it in a climate controlled room for reptiles and you have a viable, yet shoddy housing system. Im also not sure of what you are expecting to recieve in return for you posting this unsafe method. Recognition? for doing what may I ask? Just for your reference Check the batteries on the smoke alarms and have a fire extinguisher ready..especially since you have kids in your house. It does not matter if the set up is safe , there is always room for human error or mechanical failure of any of the items you have scrounged for that unit. Good luck

This rack is awesome, it took time to plan and build.
The temperatures for each compartment are remarkably consistent.
I will definitely be reusing this rack, until my needs change or a better upgrade comes along.
So far, the only complaint I've heard is about the flammability of the paper, and it is scientific fact that this fear is unwarranted.
My goal is to share my good experience with others.
I encourage constructive criticism! Maybe there will be some...

Corrugated cardboard provides a source of flaming combustion in a warehouse and is usually the first item to ignite and sustain flame spread

http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/ETD/Available/etd-121409-192436/unrestricted/koverholt.pdf

So you not only have plastic tubs that in your opinion will melt and puddle before the cardboard would ignite but you have them in the cardboard which has been proven to be the first thing to ignite and which continues to fuel the flames.

I am all for saving money but not at the expense of my animals safety nor the safety of my family.

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but cardboard & paper definitely ignite much faster than wood.
And no, it did not take time to plan (otherwise it would be made out of a plastic or wood).

Seems like this is a troll thread to get a rise out of those who actually care about the safety of our pets.

http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/ETD/Available/etd-121409-192436/unrestricted/koverholt.pdf

So you not only have plastic tubs that in your opinion will melt and puddle before the cardboard would ignite but you have them in the cardboard which has been proven to be the first thing to ignite and which continues to fuel the flames.

I am all for saving money but not at the expense of my animals safety nor the safety of my family.

A quote from the paper you cite above: "The mode of ignition for the tests was a small aluminum tray (Figure 3) placed at
the base of the sample measuring 5 x 0.5 x 0.5 cm which contained a thin strip of
glass fiber insulation soaked with heptane. This ensured a uniform mode of flaming
ignition along the base of the fuel sample. The corrugated cardboard tests used 0.25
mL of heptane for ignition while the polystyrene tests used 0.75 mL of heptane, as it
took a longer time for the polystyrene samples to ignite."

How does this apply? Who is planning to set fire with accelerant to their snake rack? I'm sorry, but I have no clue where you're going with that.

I think you misunderstood about the plastic melting, it was supposed to help one understand that the paper could only ignite AFTER plastic melts.
Since paper can only ignite at a temperature higher than which plastic will melt, and
since you are not worried that your tubs are directly on the heat source,
you should not be afraid that the paper will ignite.

Moreover, there's a major fallacy to your argument. That is, you need to compare cardboard to materials that you DO approve of. Right? :)
You will definitely find some things you LIKE have a lower ignition point than cardboard. That's the bottom line, get over it.

Even if you're right that paper has a higher ignition point than plastic (which I highly doubt you are), what about moisture build up? Carboard molds, plastic doesn't. For that reason alone I would never use this system.

Thanks, no mold, no moisture! Totally safe!
And so glad to see the curses on me and my family have stopped! :)

Back