CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Ghetto Hatchlingt Rack!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
Even if you're right that paper has a higher ignition point than plastic (which I highly doubt you are), what about moisture build up? Carboard molds, plastic doesn't. For that reason alone I would never use this system.
I agree David. The card board will also be a lovely place to harbor bacteria.

To each their own, but don't come crying when something bad happens. Enough people have warned you.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #22
RobbiesCornField
If there's no mold and no moisture, what's all of that condensation inside your tubs?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Carinata
Another thing is, whenever I move tubs around I use alcohol to disinfect the slot. Could I do that with cardboard? No. This just all around a bad idea, and yes it's pretty ghetto.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
CornBoy
Don't come crying to me, that's the best one so far!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
starsevol
If anyone from this forum knows cornboy personally, it might be a really good idea to give the authorities the heads-up that there might be a catastrophic incident soon, and that this person ignored all the warnings.

It all boils down to "survival of the fittest" so whatever happens to him and his happens, but it would be a shame if the neighbors suffer losses because of this...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #26
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
If there's no mold and no moisture, what's all of that condensation inside your tubs?
Yes, I am curious about this as well. You JUST said there is no moisture, yet your tubs have an unhealthy amount of it.
Also, you did not even reply to my last post. Go grab a lighter, hold one to cardboard and the other to a wood. Or even better, leave the heat cable on unregulated covering both of those things. I can personally guarantee that the cardboard will ignite first. When I first started keeping snakes, I had never heard of a thermostat, so my heat sources were not regulated, and often burned out. My tubs never had any damage, nor did my aspen rack. However, the heat pad and the paper covering it had evidently caught on fire and extinguished themselves by not spreading to the aspen OR melting the plastic. But there were clear burn marks on the paper. Since cardboard is essentially just thick paper, it would have the same ignition properties. In the event of a fire, the cardboard will be the first thing to go. Plastic will burn hotter, but it has a flashpoint in it that makes it less likely to burn.
Also, cardboard makes a poor choice for a rack long term (not to mention it makes you look like you don't care about your animals, which your clearly don't, so no person with an inkling of reptile knowledge would trust buying a snake from you). Cardboard degrades over time, especially when it is exposed to heat and moisture, of which you have both. You're going to come home one day and have all those tubs scattered across the floor, and all I can say is that when it happens, I sure hope all the lids pop off those tubs so the snakes can have a better chance at survival.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
Hillybean
Yep, the moisture right off the bat, is what concerns me...you can see it. Cornsnakes do not need a high humidity. That much could cause some issues with the snakes.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
jessicashallperish
i can understand maybe doing this as a TEMPORARY and i mean TEMMMMPPPPORRAARRRYY way to save room, like unexpected clutch..no time to build rack type of space saver.. but good god i do not see how that is sturdy. just the title of this thread makes me shudder..

Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
CornBoy
The rack works great!
The babies are thriving and very happy.
If anyone would like help designing one of their own, I would be happy to help.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornBoy View Post
The rack works great!
The babies are thriving and very happy.
If anyone would like help designing one of their own, I would be happy to help.
Doubt you'll have many requests. Since, you know. Most of us actually care about our snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google