CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My first DIY 3unit display viv!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Shiari
Do you leave the backing on, or is it stuck to something else that you then slide? I'm heading out in a few to go buy supplies to make a couple of similar ones.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Do you leave the backing on, or is it stuck to something else that you then slide? I'm heading out in a few to go buy supplies to make a couple of similar ones.
i actually just left the backing on them. i know that if i stuck them to something and then tried to later take it off, it could mess up the heating circuits on the pad. so the pad is sandwiched between the aluminum plate and a piece of foil so that the uth isnt direction on the wood. the whole thing is hooked up to a ranco thermostat and it heats real nice and evenly.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturtle View Post
I initially wanted to custom build it with your plans but I ended up finding a bookcase off of craigslist for $20 and went with that instead. It was fairly easy. Next one I do, I will be following your plans. I just got to wait until I move out on my own and have the room.
$20 is a steal!! Again, excellent job on the conversion. What a bargain!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
$20 is a steal!! Again, excellent job on the conversion. What a bargain!
haha tell me about it. it was a brand new still in the box bookcase from ikea. only thing was it was white so i just painted the outside black so it better matched the rest of the house.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
mdrews
Nice work!The turned out real nice!!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
JustineNYC
Ok, I hate you! LOL Where did you get a bookcase, 30 inches long. All the ones I looked at that were Ikea were 23 inches wide. Too small.

I love it. Is it melamine? What did you coat it with? Paint peels off that material doesnt it?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
Ok, I hate you! LOL Where did you get a bookcase, 30 inches long. All the ones I looked at that were Ikea were 23 inches wide. Too small.

I love it. Is it melamine? What did you coat it with? Paint peels off that material doesnt it?
It's a Billy bookcase. I found it off of craigslist for $20, brand new in a sealed box. Only problem was that it was white. It isnt melamine. The website says its a foil paper. Kyrlon sells a spray paint that is made for plastic and I would think it would stick better to it.

To waterproof it to the extent of cleaning wise, I just sanded down the surfaces that i was to paint with a very fine sand paper to take off the gloss of the 'foil paper' and give the primer something to grab hold of. I was recommended Kilz by someone here on the forum. I used the kilz2 latex primer as the can said low odor. I then coated the primer with black Krylon paint. I then applied a clear top coat by Krylon. Paint can and will chip off if you bang it against something. I just raked my long nails against the bookcase and no paint peels off. I believe it'll only peel off or chip if you have a spot where it didn't grab hold good. So make sure you sand between coats and especially before applying any primer or paint.

Here's the link to the bookcase I have.
Ikea Billy Bookcase

I also saw bookcases online on Walmart's and Target's website that were wide enough. Some come upto 5 sections high. After you find the width its all about how many units you can or want to make it. I also know that Target sells something by closetmaid I believe, that is big enough for 1 unit for like $30 I think.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
Ruderacer
Great job. I think I may have to give it a try. Going to search craigslist now.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturtle View Post
It's a Billy bookcase. I found it off of craigslist for $20, brand new in a sealed box. Only problem was that it was white. It isnt melamine. The website says its a foil paper. Kyrlon sells a spray paint that is made for plastic and I would think it would stick better to it.

To waterproof it to the extent of cleaning wise, I just sanded down the surfaces that i was to paint with a very fine sand paper to take off the gloss of the 'foil paper' and give the primer something to grab hold of. I was recommended Kilz by someone here on the forum. I used the kilz2 latex primer as the can said low odor. I then coated the primer with black Krylon paint. I then applied a clear top coat by Krylon. Paint can and will chip off if you bang it against something. I just raked my long nails against the bookcase and no paint peels off. I believe it'll only peel off or chip if you have a spot where it didn't grab hold good. So make sure you sand between coats and especially before applying any primer or paint.

Here's the link to the bookcase I have.
Ikea Billy Bookcase

I also saw bookcases online on Walmart's and Target's website that were wide enough. Some come upto 5 sections high. After you find the width its all about how many units you can or want to make it. I also know that Target sells something by closetmaid I believe, that is big enough for 1 unit for like $30 I think.

I think I know the one your talking about, Ive looked at it a few times, its 35 by 13 deep, it says its made out of "Constructed of engineered wood with Honey laminate finish" I didnt buy it because I wasnt sure If id be able to coat it with anything.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
JustineNYC
I looked at one of the bookcases in Walmart, its 5 shelf, 74 tall, 29 wide and 11 deep. Im not sure how much room my yearlings would have in it cause thats basically a 20 long.

Anyway....What I wanted to asked was what did you use to coat the inside?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google