CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My first DIY 3unit display viv!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
blueturtle
i sanded the inside pieces and applied the Kilz primer and a clear top coat by Krylon. I then sealed the edges with silicone. i gave it a good spray down with that bleach water mix that's floating around here on the boards somewhere and its proved waterproof. Now if you have snakes that are prone to tipping over their water dishes, I'm not sure how it would withstand to pool of water sitting on it until you noticed it. the primer is a waterbased latex.

hopefully that answers the question you had.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
JustineNYC
It did! Thanks so much...Im starting on mine soon.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
blueturtle
glad i could help!!!

can't wait to see pictures of your finished product when you're done! =]

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
geiniandkathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturtle View Post

The bottom unit is being used as storage until this summer. I'm looking for a 1.0 Ghost stripe.

In case anyone was wondering, I finally found aspen at Walmart by the brand of AlphaPet. They only have the smaller bags of 1500cu in for about $3-4 but I like the quality. I haven't noticed dust with the exception of the end of the bag much like the Kaytee I was using. It also seems to be shredded small pieces. Looks kind of like the ZooMed snake bedding. Nice and fluffy. The package states that it's laboratory quality. I wish I could have found a co-op store near me to buy the big bales for cheap but this will do until then.

So what do you think?

Thanks for looking!

-Aida
What amazing setup! I wish I were brave enough to do something like that. I use the Aspen you mentioned. I always freeze mine for 2 weeks to kill off any possible bugs. I got that habit from when I used to raise gerbils. Never found that exact brand larger than that though. Had to use an old blender to shred the big flakes from petsmart finer. Never turned out as nice as this stuff though so I buy the smaller package like you.

What does 1.0 mean when you talk about the ghost you are looking for?

Kathy

Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #25
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geiniandkathy View Post
What amazing setup! I wish I were brave enough to do something like that. I use the Aspen you mentioned. I always freeze mine for 2 weeks to kill off any possible bugs. I got that habit from when I used to raise gerbils. Never found that exact brand larger than that though. Had to use an old blender to shred the big flakes from petsmart finer. Never turned out as nice as this stuff though so I buy the smaller package like you.

What does 1.0 mean when you talk about the ghost you are looking for?

Kathy
1.0 means a male. 0.1 would mean a female. and 0.0.1 would mean unknown sex.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Caryl
Nice work! It looks great, and the snakes look wonderful in it. It'll be perfect when you find that ghost!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
blueturtle
Thank you!! I'm really happy with how it turned out. I was scared I was going to fail. lol

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #28
JustineNYC
Hey, I have a question for you. I am building mine which is basically just like yours but am running into a problem....at the bottom where you have your hinges, is that silicone in your pic? I dont have hatchlings, but now that Ive put mine together Im afraid someone will push on the bottom acrylic and sneak out. Did you silicone the slit between the plexi and that ledge?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #29
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
Hey, I have a question for you. I am building mine which is basically just like yours but am running into a problem....at the bottom where you have your hinges, is that silicone in your pic? I dont have hatchlings, but now that Ive put mine together Im afraid someone will push on the bottom acrylic and sneak out. Did you silicone the slit between the plexi and that ledge?
Let me see if I can explain it good.

On the bottom of each door, I have 3 hinges. You do see silicone at the bottom but that is silicone that is attached to the dam to keep it in place. I didn't place any silicone between the slit of the plexi and viv ledge. When the door is closed, the acrylic bottom sits nearly flush against the floor. there's only enough space for a fingernail tip to slide in. Now my dam is spaced a bit away from the door to allow room for the nut and bolt. The space barely lets Alcy my 100g snake fit her head in the gap. It doesn't leave her any room to push against the acrylic to flare out the bottom between the hinges. Even if there was enough room for her to push, the acrylic wouldn't give her enough slack to slip out.

I'm not sure if your doors will end up the way mine did but if you think they'll be able to flare out the plexi between the hinges, I would just put a couple of those screen clips on the bottom between the hinges. Though, if your acrylic is 1/4in thick, i doubt that they'd be able to flare it if you used 3 hinges, maybe if you only used 2.

Here are 2 pictures to help with my explanation. The first is a closeup of the door closed. You can kind of make out the edge of the door next to the hinge.
Second picture is a close up of the door opened to show that there's no silicone other than on the dam. Hope this helped! =]

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
JustineNYC
Ah ok I see what you did. I only used 2 hinges, and there is a space between my ledge and my plexi that Im going to try and fill today, maybe with some sort of rubber, and then Ill silicone that slit and clip it.

Im UBBER paranoid of escapes. I think Im going to use another clip down there instead of adding a 3rd hinge cause Id have to take it apart.

TY for your explanation!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google