CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Feeding size

Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
smale492
Feeding size

So I just weighed my baby and he is probably around 20-21 grams, and I just recently got pinkies that advertise as being 2-3 grams. They look pretty small to be honest and I feel like they are not big enough to be only giving him one like some people suggest by doing the 13% times his weight deal which would be like 2.9 grams. I have been giving him 2 each feeding time for last 2 weeks and was wondering if this is a bad idea and should just accept giving him 1. I know there are charts (following the munson plan and I dont personally know what to follow and I don't want to stunt his growth.

He has no problem eating both either so there is that. Here is the chart I was not sure if I should be following especially because I feel like the pinkies def are not 2-3 grams looking from where I ordered. (may weigh them to be sure next time I feed him.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Dragonling
The Munson plan doesn't jump from single smalls to double med/lg pinks. Idk who made that chart, but they messed up a bit. I feed double smalls as needed, and doubling up pinkies is pretty common in general since not everyone can easily find a perfect gradation from small pinkie to fuzzy.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
The Munson plan doesn't jump from single smalls to double med/lg pinks. Idk who made that chart, but they messed up a bit. I feed double smalls as needed, and doubling up pinkies is pretty common in general since not everyone can easily find a perfect gradation from small pinkie to fuzzy.
So you think doubling up on the (assumed 2-3 g pinkies) would be ok at only like 21 grams. Then I am eventually going to move up to small fuzzies that are 5-6 grams.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by smale492 View Post
So I just weighed my baby and he is probably around 20-21 grams, and I just recently got pinkies that advertise as being 2-3 grams. They look pretty small to be honest and I feel like they are not big enough to be only giving him one......
Did you weigh them? If you didn't weigh them, then how do you know they are too small. "Please don't go by the way they look."

You know you can use that same scale you weighed the snake with to also weigh his food.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Did you weigh them? If you didn't weigh them, then how do you know they are too small. "Please don't go by the way they look."

If you have not invested in a cheap scale yet, please do. It will save you a lot of heartache in the future.
I have a scale just have not weighed them yet I am going to within the coming day and report back and see what to do next.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smale492 View Post
So you think doubling up on the (assumed 2-3 g pinkies) would be ok at only like 21 grams. Then I am eventually going to move up to small fuzzies that are 5-6 grams.
Yeah, I pretty much only double up if I don't have large pinkies/peach fuzzies (3-4g) around 20-something up to 30-35ish grams.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google