• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bioactive Terrarium for Baby?

babygotjack

Hi there!!

I'm doing beginning research before getting our baby cornsnake and am most interested in turning my 29 gallon tank into a bioactive habitat. If it has plenty of size-appropriate hides, etc, would this be okay for a baby snake, or do I need to keep him in a more basic set up until bigger?

I'm not sure what your definition of bioactive is, but corns can adapt to most habitats, with the exception of extreme desert, and boggy wet conditions. I've seen some tanks filled with so much junk that the poor occupant didn't have room to slither, except going over plants and hides. Corns do like to climb, but they also like to slither along the ground.

By bioactive, I'm referring to the natural looking habitats that have deep substrate, live plants, and I think usually bugs?

That type of tank set up can be very beautiful, and I designed one years back for my lizards, and a tropical one for my Dart frogs. One thing to consider with snakes is that there will be copious amounts of fecal matter soon after each feeding, especially with adult Corns. With the usual tanks or rack systems many use a substrate that can be easily cleaned, or spot cleaned. If you intend to use soil as a substrate, with live plants, it will be hard to clean. What people tend to forget is that most snakes have worms in their systems which are easily introduced from the rodents fed to them, including frozen ones. In a "closed" environment a snake with worms can re-infect itself until the worm load demands treatment. Take it from someone who raised my own mice for several years, nearly every time I brought in additional breeder mice they had worms. The only exception were mice raised for laboratory purposes.

Which is your priority? The welfare of the snake or the bioactive terrarium?
If it's the snake then I say do not do it. There is NO advantage in captivity for a snake to have a bioactive terrarium. We, as caretakers of our snakes, do what we can to make the healthiest environment as we can for our captives. I've done a few bioactive tanks over the years but my goal in each was a natural environment for my enjoyment. Usually I had anoles and frogs as the main occupants in it. That's my 2 cents :)

Twolunger - are worms still found in mice that have been frozen for 3 weeks? (this is the standard for killing parasites in raw meat for dogs/cats, so just checking) I don't terribly mind having to do extra work cleaning up poop, but I *did not* know I needed to worry about worms. I do home fecal tests on my other pets, should I just assume that I need to do that with my snake as well?

daddio207 - that is good food for thought; when you say there is no advantage, do you think there is a significant disadvantage to the snake? I was hoping that a more natural environment (along with looking beautiful) would provide the snake with more mental and physical stimulation and ability to express natural behaviors? Are they really much happier and healthier in a normal set up, or is it neutral and the bioactive is just more work?

No advantage to the snake and probably a significant disadvantage to the snake. Being bioactive doesn't mean the snake can't get a bacterial infection. The bioactive substrate takes time to convert bad bacteria to good and in that time the snake or any occupant can develop a bacterial infection. I don't believe live plants will add any higher stimulus to the snake over a plastic one. Plus the plastic can be cleaned and sanitized.
Are they really much happier and healthier in a normal set up, or is it neutral and the bioactive is just more work? Not happier but neutral and healthier, yes! Bioactive is more work.
Also, the plants need UVB lighting which depending on the morph of the snake,like amel, it could cause eye damage and blindness.
IMO and experience :)

The question of how captive bred and born snakes become infected with worms, typically roundworms and pinworms, depends upon who you talk to about the issue. Some people insist worms can't be transferred from warm blooded mammals to cold blooded reptiles, and yet snakes do become infected. The owner of a large rodent supply company was asked directly if infected rodents can pass internal parasites to snakes. He said yes, and freezing kills the majority of internal parasites, however not all. The larval stage seems to
be the problem. In my own experience I was taking fecal samples to my veterinarian at least yearly, and specifically when any new snake was in quarantine. The results were usually negative, until about two years ago when the vet found pinworms. These snakes were kept individually in rack system containers. They only ate frozen thawed rodents. I have talked to other snake breeders and some have found worms in the fecal samples of their snakes, and others have told me they never tested theirs, but don't seem to have a problem.

Back