CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Am I bad a (corn snake) parent?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
Scrappyeddie77
No she pulls her head back before I even get close

I hold them for awhile and they start to chill that is when I start to move

I have small kids and I don't like getting bit so I do things that I have done for years with all kinds of animals to help tame them down but I always remember that they are animals and if you learn to read their body language you can prevent most bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
ikinicknick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
No she pulls her head back before I even get close

I hold them for awhile and they start to chill that is when I start to move

I have small kids and I don't like getting bit so I do things that I have done for years with all kinds of animals to help tame them down but I always remember that they are animals and if you learn to read their body language you can prevent most bites.

Thats amazing, thanks for sharing

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Scrappyeddie77
Just a FYI there is an app called ( Time2Feed ) that might help with a feeding schedule and a snake history.
I just started using it and so far it is a straight forward app
It has a feeding section and a shedding portion and a size it seems like it might help a lot

Old 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikinicknick View Post
Wow, so much help!

Sorry about the lack of information and typos, I was troublr having sleep and I stayed up way too late to write this topic

My little snake is around 30-40cm tops (hard to measure), he's very young, and male. And so adorable!

I took the temprature reading from a exo terra analog thermometer, which at the moment lays on the ground. I tried to tape it to the glass wall, but when he goes on his nightly advantures, he manages to get it off from there lol.

The heat mat is a small one, just big enough to completely fit under my 30cm terrarium.

Glad to hear he's doing fine, I'll need to man up now and try to pick him up again tonight

And wow, you can pet him on the head? I heard they don't even like to get grabbed/looked at, they just get more tolerate about it, and you 'just'.. pet his head? :O

Btw, here are a few pics I took this morning before I left for work. He was climbing, but once I turned on the light, he immidiadly noped back into his hiding spot.

Yes, my gf made a banner for him...

Well you sound like a real caring person , clearly wanting the best for your snake ....

At this point there are at least 3 concerns to my mind ....

1 ) as I understand things , a heat mat should cover between 33% and 40% of the floor area so there's a cooler area /side : may be wrong here but it sounds as though your heat mat covers the whole floor area !?!! If so I'd pull half of it out and have less than half of it slid under the viv ...

2 ) it sounds like you're using one of those stand alone thermometers which are useless for this purpose as I think they just get the ambient or temp - you want to know the floor temps of the warm side . There are some cheap ones that have a probe on a length of wire which are far better and only cost a about 3 dollars off eBay . Better still get a digital temp gun for around 14 dollars again off eBay ...- they're point and click devices that give very accurate temps wherever they're pointed .

3 ) you mentioned using tape inside the viv ( for the thermometer ) but that's a BIG no-no ....

NEVER use tape inside a vivarium . Google " sticky tape related snake injuries !!

4 ) going off the viv size and the snake size then as I mentioned earlier , it won't be long at all before he needs more floor space and as such a bigger viv ..
Anyways , we all want what's best for you and your snake

Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #15
ikinicknick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Well you sound like a real caring person , clearly wanting the best for your snake ....

1 ) as I understand things , a heat mat should cover between 33% and 40% of the floor area so there's a cooler area /side : may be wrong here but it sounds as though your heat mat covers the whole floor area !?!! If so I'd pull half of it out and have less than half of it slid under the viv ...

2 ) it sounds like you're using one of those stand alone thermometers which are useless for this purpose as I think they just get the ambient or temp - you want to know the floor temps of the warm side . There are some cheap ones that have a probe on a length of wire which are far better and only cost a about 3 dollars off eBay . Better still get a digital temp gun for around 14 dollars again off eBay ...- they're point and click devices that give very accurate temps wherever they're pointed .

3 ) you mentioned using tape inside the viv ( for the thermometer ) but that's a BIG no-no ....

NEVER use tape inside a vivarium . Google " sticky tape related snake injuries !!

4 ) going off the viv size and the snake size then as I mentioned earlier , it won't be long at all before he needs more floor space and as such a bigger viv ..
Its the tape that came along with it, its not any house hold tape I don't want to put anything not sterile in there, or something that's not been approved by someone with experience.

I'll take a look on the internet for a digital thermometer, thanks for the tip! So is it safe to keep him a few more days with 'uncontrolled' temprature?

Thanks guys, you're helping me so much
Quote:

Old 11-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #16
Zincubus
Quote:
Its the tape that came along with it, its not any house hold tape I don't want to put anything not sterile in there, or something that's not been approved by someone with experience.

I'll take a look on the internet for a digital thermometer, thanks for the tip! So is it safe to keep him a few more days with 'uncontrolled' temprature?

Thanks guys, you're helping me so much

I'd avoid using ANY kind if tape , remember that thermometer may not be / probably isn't meant to go in a viv in the first place .

Just clarify ....Does the heat mat completely cover the whole base of the viv ??

If so , move it until no more than 40% of the floor space is heated ...IMHO .

Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
ikinicknick
Quote:
I'd avoid using ANY kind if tape , remember that thermometer may not be / probably isn't meant to go in a viv in the first place .

Just clarify ....Does the heat mat completely cover the whole base of the viv ??

If so , move it until no more than 40% of the floor space is heated ...IMHO .
Yes, but not anymore now

I just got the courage to pick him up again, cleaned out his viv, and put the warm mat at 40%. Hes now chilling on the cold side. As I read, too warm pisses it off, he might be super happy now! Thanks a lot again

Old 11-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #18
Zincubus
Sounds like progress .. you really need to pick up a reptile thermostat - cheap if necessary - even second hand will suffice as they're practically bombproof .

Then a digital temp gun ( built in laser as a bonus ) off eBay for around 14 dollars - don't bother paying a lot as they're rumoured to be the same quality in different packaging ( scams ) .

Old 11-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
ikinicknick
Quote:
Sounds like progress .. you really need to pick up a reptile thermostat - cheap if necessary - even second hand will suffice as they're practically bombproof .

Then a digital temp gun ( built in laser as a bonus ) off eBay for around 14 dollars - don't bother paying a lot as they're rumoured to be the same quality in different packaging ( scams ) .
Noted!

Weird that they told me a normal analog one was sufficient...

Old 11-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #20
Zincubus
Quote:
Noted!

Weird that they told me a normal analog one was sufficient...

Funnily enough my first snake was a hatchling Cornsnake plus set up - a 30cm cube Exo Terra just like yours . It came with a small stick on heat mat plus a stick on the side thermometer ( useless for vivs but ok for fridge temps maybe ) ... they didn't even mention me getting a thermostat !!!!

I learnt about that weeks later ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google