CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Am I bad a (corn snake) parent?

Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #21
ikinicknick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Funnily enough my first snake was a hatchling Cornsnake plus set up - a 30cm cube Exo Terra just like yours . It came with a small stick on heat mat plus a stick on the side thermometer ( useless for vivs but ok for fridge temps maybe ) ... they didn't even mention me getting a thermostat !!!!

I learnt about that weeks later ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
He's been chilling on the colder spot now for a few hours. When I move my hand towards him (outside the viv) he looks calm, because he used to be really scared and slither back into his skull. I feel much better, and I hope he does too!

I'm gonna try and take him out tomorrow for a small 'petting' session, because thursday is feeding day. I'll let you all know how it went, and hopefully he won't be pissed and bite me again

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #22
Scrappyeddie77
It is funny how they sell you on something and you look at the cost and go for it. Then the next thing you see is that you are back buying more stuff everyday for awhile. I think this time around I knew what to get and I had everything I needed but the corns for a week LOL and I did get extra hides because I liked them on the shelf but not in the viv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
ikinicknick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
It is funny how they sell you on something and you look at the cost and go for it. Then the next thing you see is that you are back buying more stuff everyday for awhile. I think this time around I knew what to get and I had everything I needed but the corns for a week LOL and I did get extra hides because I liked them on the shelf but not in the viv

Yea, takes practice lol. I really don't mind spending some money on it, I don't have other pets or children to take care of anyway

Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #24
Scrappyeddie77
LOL the only other animals I have are my kids

Old 11-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #25
Scrappyeddie77

Old 11-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #26
Scrappyeddie77
The first two pics are of Ares and the last two are of Athena my little babies

Old 11-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #27
ikinicknick
It's amazing how yours entangles around your fingers, mine still hasn't done that

Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #28
Corning
http://Jump Start MTPRTC, Digital ET..._tai_SXXiyb...

This is the thermometer I use. I used a hot glue gun to secure it over the heating pad that goes under the tank. Then you plug the heating pad into it and it regulates the temp. I don't worry about the cold side. I also bought 2 small caves. One on the warm side not quite on top of the heater. The babies will hide Most of the time but it's easy to open the top of the cave and get them out. I also use a laser temp reader to check that the thermometer is working. I've read some stories that using tape in a terrarium can be bad if they get tape on them. I set my thermometer to 88 degrees and it does not ever go above that with this thermometer.

My baby's only 2 months old. I hold him 3 day after I feed him for only 5 minutes. Holding them stresses them out so I feel like it's more important to just slowly get rid of the fear that they will be hurt by being held. I did the same thing with my other corn who is now probably 8mo to a yr. it's worked great with him. I'm a hobbiest not a professional. But my snakes are just as much members of my family as everyone else here.

I've never been bit by my snakes. Pick him up by the mid to lower back and not too slowly. Don't give home time to think about you plucking him from the ground. Hold right over the terrarium and once he's not so flighty put him back. Keep a routine. Hold him 2x week at the same time for a short time. Just make sure it's 2 days after you feed him.

How old is your baby ?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #29
Corning
Jump Start MTPRTC, Digital ETL-Certified Heat Mat Thermostat for Seed Germination, Reptiles and Brewing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S..._9VXiyb8G6NYG4
Jump Start MTPRTC, Digital ETL-Certified Heat Mat Thermostat for Seed Germination, Reptiles and Brewing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S..._9VXiyb8G6NYG4

Sorry this is the link.

Exo Terra Snake Cave, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHLQJU..._zhYiybZ8DYHG5
Exo Terra Snake Cave, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHLQJU..._zhYiybZ8DYHG5

And here is the cave I use. I have 2 in there.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #30
Scrappyeddie77
How is your little one doing? Have you been holding him. He will calm down just takes time for them to start to trust you. I know you will get it. No worries

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google