CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Aspen or paper ?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Patmart
Aspen or paper ?

Aspen or paper for flooring ? For my viv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Twolunger
Well, you will have to determine that for yourself. I used aspen bedding for many years and most of my friends use it too. But now I have a smaller snake collection and use paper towels in all of my rack containers. Using paper towels forces me to clean each container frequently, usually a few days after feeding. When I asked my friends how often they cleaned their containers, or vivariums, the answer was every few weeks to a month, with spot cleaning weekly. Not good enough for me, but it works for them.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
Patmart
Ok thank you I have got aspen at moment after you say what you think I will stick to aspen
Patmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Reggie Wriggle
Aspen since snakes like to burrow

Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Patmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Wriggle View Post
Aspen since snakes like to burrow

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
snakes don't necessarily "Like to Burrow." They do that if it's an option.

They do for the most part like to Hide. How they do that depends. I have never found a wild corn snake burrowed up in a field of shredded Aspen. I have found them under rock ledges, in holes, laying beside hay bales in an old barn, hiding under leaves on the ground or under old pieces of paneling and sheetmetal laying on the ground, even stretched out in the middle of a gravel road.

Whatever you do, provide plenty of hiding places for your snake. Most of the folks around here use aspen "Because my snake looks so cute when he burrows."

I tend to think about price, cleaning, practicality, and the well being of the animal.

There are options of paper towels, Aspen shavings, Repti-Bark, Coco Fiber, Reptile Carpet, and probably a few I don't know of or have forgot about.

I kept my Boa Constrictors on old discarded newspapers for many years, and the snakes did just fine.

I use reptile carpet today.

In the end, you will have to be the judge.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
cornsnakebob
I like both. Aspen is nice in the winter, adds some more insulation and stuff. Newspaper is nice in the summer when quicker cleanups means less odor. And you know what happens when odor and warmer temperatures mix.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google