CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Bloat? Abscess?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Shiari
Bloat? Abscess?

I'll get pics of Stupid up against a bright light when I get back from work so you'll see more clearly what I'm asking... but in the mean time...

Stupid is, I fear, on his last invisible leg. He's getting fair emaciated looking now, but his middle looks like he's eaten, despite having not been force fed for a week. Even without a strong backlight you can see that the distended area has a sort of creamy yellow colour. I was worried at first that it might have been air from an attempt at syringe feeding a little while ago, but when I passed a 5F red rubber feeding tube, it was unable to pass into that area. Also, when he's held up to a light, you can't really see through that area, the way you can the rest of the snake which leads me to believe it is *not* air.

So... are snakes capable of gastric torsions?... But if it was a week old torsion he should probably be dead by now. So... abscess? I'm wondering if I should simply have him euthanised or feed him off to my sil's hognose. He's been a non-feeder since august.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Shiari
aaaand.... somehow this posted in the wrong forum. Could have sworn I was in the right place. Oops!

Old 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
bitsy
Could be any kind of blockage. Soudns solid, so it could be a tumour, which was my last experience with a blockage. By the time it developed into a visible lump on mine, it was inoperable and I had to have him euthanased. Has your vet given an opinion?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
danielle
I would say block or tumor too sorry, but if a tube couldn't get through the area obviously something is in the way and its not just air. I would take him to the vet and see what they say maybe something could be done, but if not euthenization could be done quick and semi painless.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Nanci
It's probably kindest to let him go. As in, from life. I'm sorry.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Shiari
Messaging from work. I'm going to be bringing Stupid in to my work on monday for euthanasia and a necropsy. At least I can say I tried everything I could think of to save him.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Nanci
I assist-fed a hoggy for nearly two years. While treating an abcess. Trust me, it will be a relief for both of you. When you've done the best you can, and nothing works, then the kindest thing to do is provide a peaceful end.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Shiari
I was talking euthanasia logistics with the vet and we both guess we're going to have to go intracoelomic, though the question of how much euthasol is still up in the air. And doing a necropsy on a 6 gram snake with a 4gram tumor/abscess will be very interesting.

I literally just weighed him. Two weeks ago he weight 6 grams. Today he weighs 10. That alone is enough to convince me. Poor little guy. ;_;

In the mean time I guess all I can do is try to keep him warm and as comfortable as possible.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
bitsy
I'm so sorry Shiari. It's always a horrible decision, but it sounds like the right one under the circumstances. You certainly have done all you can.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Susan
If you have not yet done so, I would highly recommend that you have Stupid tested for cryptosporidium. A thin snake with a swollen stomach just screams "crytpo" to me. I'm sorry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google