CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Firearms

Old 01-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
67temp
Firearms

Seems there might be a few others here that are also into firearms for various reasons. What kind do you have or collect? Are they for target practice, shtf, self defense, sporting/hunting, military collectables, etc?

I seem to be drawn mostly to Marlin and store brand 22's and shotguns. The 22's are for general plinking and squirrel hunting. My trap gun is a marlin O/U made in 1957. I also have a pump action (gallery gun) made by marlin in 1909/10 that only shots 22 shorts.

A large portion of my field and home defense guns are Mossberg 500's set up in various configurations. I think I'm currently at 8+ of those now.

For hand guns my collection is all over the place from various manufacturers. My personal favorites are a pair of stainless Ruger Vaqueros (single action revolvers) in 45lc.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Twolunger
I was a bit spoiled when I lived in Michigan because I had 50 acres with a nice valley behind the house. I could take any weapon and shoot any time I felt like it. I had a back stop of logs and dirt to trap the bullets. I could also skeet shoot with a Browning shotgun, or an older Ithaca double barrel. I had a variety of rifles and handguns all the way from a .308 Norma magnum to a .17 beauty. However, in southern Florida you usually need to go to a range, and that involves a drive and structured range rules. No longer as much fun. I sold off all my guns except for a H&R .22 revolver, a Ruger LC-9 which I carry concealed most of the time, and a Sig Saurer SP 2022 .40 which I can carry if I wear a jacket to conceal it. For fun plinking I have a Benjamin Discovery PCP in .22 cal, and a Hatsan Tactical PCP in .25 cal. I charge the cylinders with a scuba tank or a high pressure hand pump. The Hatsan company makes high powered PCP rifles that pack a wallop. There are .50 cal PCP rifles too.

The funny thing is that when I took my handguns to the police station to register them, they told me you don't register guns in Florida. A far cry from parts of Michigan that required a safety class and demonstration of handgun knowledge.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
67temp
How do you like the lc-9? That's on my list along with a g43 for potential concealed carry instead of my g19.

I'm moving from MD to PA. It will be nice to be in a shall issue state vs one that doesn't consider self protection a valid reason for carry. As you also said having the land to shoot on your own property or out the back door will be nice.

I do have an AR or two but I've never been into the tactical look of feel. I really have an appreciation for some high gloss wood with a nice deep bluing metal.

Most of the time if I'm hunting anything under 200yds I use a 12ga slug gun. Further will get the Tikka in .300WM.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Rich Z
Speaking of shotguns, I just recently picked up this little puppy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaW5qnYSpw0

For squirrel eradication I use a Savage A17 in .17HMR. VERY accurate rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoaBZ_oW8rM

For CCW, I use a Glock 33, which is chambered in .357Sig.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
How do you like the lc-9? That's on my list along with a g43 for potential concealed carry instead of my g19.

I'm moving from MD to PA. It will be nice to be in a shall issue state vs one that doesn't consider self protection a valid reason for carry. As you also said having the land to shoot on your own property or out the back door will be nice.

I do have an AR or two but I've never been into the tactical look of feel. I really have an appreciation for some high gloss wood with a nice deep bluing metal.

Most of the time if I'm hunting anything under 200yds I use a 12ga slug gun. Further will get the Tikka in .300WM.
That LC-9 was a Christmas gift from my son. I was looking for a Sig .380 but once I shot the LC-9 I loved it. Not too heavy to carry and easy to conceal. I got the Sig .40 thinking I'd carry it but even though it's a polymer it is still heavy, especially when it's loaded. As you know the LC-9 and most of the concealables are meant for up close and personal use. I never tried it for accuracy beyond 25 feet. At that range it's pretty good.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
Twolunger
I can see some new jewelry in Connie's future.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
mcnann_fam
I also conceal carry an LC-9 and love it. It is the perfect size for me. I do wish the trigger pull on it wasn't so damn long/heavy/etc. My partner carries a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 which he likes. Its a little stockier than mine but not as boxy as a glock. He has plans to build an AR to his specifications and I would like a basic pump action shot gun.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnann_fam View Post
I also conceal carry an LC-9 and love it. It is the perfect size for me. I do wish the trigger pull on it wasn't so damn long/heavy/etc. My partner carries a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 which he likes. Its a little stockier than mine but not as boxy as a glock. He has plans to build an AR to his specifications and I would like a basic pump action shot gun.
My son carries a small Kimber and I hinted that a small handgun like his would be a good Christmas present. Well, I should have been more specific, but it turned out great anyway. LOL. What's funny is that my oldest son has a gun collection and the youngest doesn't even have any home protection. I offered him one of my guns but he said he doesn't want one.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
67temp
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
As you know the LC-9 and most of the concealables are meant for up close and personal use. I never tried it for accuracy beyond 25 feet. At that range it's pretty good.
I've got a beretta m9 with a bunch of trigger work I typically use for plinking. Which reminds me I need to get that back from my wife. She liked how it shot and claimed it as hers.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
Twolunger
My son has 2 Ruger .22's one with the heavy barrel that has a silencer on it. He had to jump through hoops to get a federal permit, and the local sheriff had to send someone out to see how he safeguards it. I thought Congress was going ease up the regulations but guess not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google