CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Cold weather

Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Rich Z
Heck, we've been getting torrential rainfall here for the last few days. Connie and I had to run to the post office and our road had muddy ruts about a foot deep. She went into four wheel drive as the truck was sliding all over the place. Our cars would have been lost for good in the mud.

Ah, country living.............

Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
Rich Z
Well, with a couple of nights between Thursday night and Monday morning forecast to be in the upper 20s here, I figured I'd better get a few pics of the trees flowering before the cold killed the blooms.

This one is a Japanese magnolia.

Pear tree.

Apple tree.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
Rich Z
Temps started pushing down to 33 degrees, so I went outside and dripped the faucets, just in case. And not too much later Connie noticed that the bird feeder outside the bedroom window had been bent over (again!) and the feed blocks gone. So apparently Mr. Bear was wondering around outside right around the same time. I'm guessing he probably destroyed the wire cages those feed blocks were in. Again. He got into one of the compost bins about a week ago that I had to fix, so hope he didn't do that again. He's getting to be a nuisance now...... Honestly, I'm REAL surprised he didn't get into the fruit trees last Summer and Fall. He probably would have broken all kinds of branches in those young trees.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Rich Z
Something just isn't RIGHT about this....

Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
Rich Z
Ugh.... went down to 23.8 degrees last night. We covered what we could, but just didn't have enough tarps for all the fruit trees, so hopefully they didn't get damaged too much. It only got to about 45 degrees yesterday, and today it may reach 50. By Sunday the high temp is supposed to be up to 77 degrees..........

Oh yeah, the flowers of the Japanese magnolia I posted earlier are all history right now. The cold pretty much did them in.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
Rich Z
Well, I'm just glad I don't live up in Maryland any longer...... Looks like they are having right crappy weather there today.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #17
Rich Z
So today it hit 80 degrees.... I guess I slept through Spring.....

Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #18
daddio207
We're excited (here in Maine) because we are going to be in the 20's-30's during the day and teens at night. LOL That's our spring !!

I heard on the news that this February in Maine was the COLDEST on record during the 5TH WARMEST winter on record in the US.
When it comes to global warming, we are getting SCREWED in the Northeast !!!!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
We're excited (here in Maine) because we are going to be in the 20's-30's during the day and teens at night. LOL That's our spring !!
Yeah, same here. We're happy when the mucus in our noses doesn't freeze when we walk to the mailbox, lol!

Kathy

Old 03-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #20
Rich Z
Yeah, I remember the good old days in Maryland. Having to get up an extra hour early in the morning so I had time to get all the ice off of the car so I could get to work. Always have a spare ice scraper because sometimes they will snap in two. Sometimes with a freezing rain over night I couldn't even open the doors to the car because they were frozen solid.

It's a pretty odd feeling when your nostril hairs freeze inside of your nose.....

Yeah, I sure do miss all of that.......

I know Maryland didn't have as long or as bad of a cold winter as parts further north, but we still had our moments now and again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google