• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

*Graphic* Why NOT to house your snakes together.

indeed... though as i put it on the thread i started on LF

should really say, that its only a bad thing in the captive environment, when its being done through keeper error..

many snakes live on snakes in the wild, and of course this is a totally natural and non-remarkable situtation..

however.. keeping them captive with 4 walls controled by a human.. is a different ball game..

whilst we keep them in captivity, we must be responsibe for them, and not they for us...

here in the UK we seem more squeamish many times... you should have seen the storm that was created over pics of someone feeding Coral Snakes on baby corns..

N

Hey I fell through the ice once when I was a kid... it was awful.
Anyway, since I have been researching snake husbandry I have seen A LOT of snake eating snake and corn eating corn pictures. I have also witnessed it myself at Petco. It is not as rare as some think. However, the main reason I wouldn't house snakes together (breeding them doesn't count) is because of stress. In the animal (and people?) world, one animal will tend to become dominant, stressing out the other. (Though there are community animals, snakes are not them.) One snakes can stop eating, and just be miserable when housed with another. Also, predators tend to be territorial, so one may bully the other.....
I want happy pets, not stressed or eaten pets. I have mentioned cohabitation problems on another website and have gotten shot down because the moderator keeps corns together, and "has never had problems". Well, she is lucky and shouldn't be giving out advice that someone could read and not be so lucky. (Or her snakes really are stressed.) I'm not sayin that it can't ever be done, lord knows pet shops do it all the time, I'm just saying these are our pets. Lets try and give them the best quality of life we can.

Roy Munson said:
I whole-heartedly agree with Vanina on this! ;)
Thank you :)

kimbyra said:
Hey I fell through the ice once when I was a kid... it was awful
Sorry if I brought up some bad memories :(

kimbyra said:
I'm not sayin that it can't ever be done, lord knows pet shops do it all the time, I'm just saying these are our pets. Lets try and give them the best quality of life we can.
I agree with you. We have chosen to have them therefore we should give them the best we can :cheers:

Don't worry, its not a bad memory really. I was 9 or 10 which was along time ago. I don't know why I even mentioned it. :cheers:

kimbyra said:
Don't worry, its not a bad memory really. I was 9 or 10 which was along time ago. I don't know why I even mentioned it. :cheers:
I think it is because we are all sharing experiences here even it is is "slightly" :-offtopic but kind of related ;)

nerys, those pictures are beyond belief! I'll be watching mine like a hawk during feeds to make sure he doesn't latch onto his own tail now!
...... I'm shocked.

I agree that it is a great post to bring up but it is so old i do not even think that the person who started this thread still comes to this forum

I think that, regardless of how old it is, or who started it, that this thread is extremely timely in it's reappearance, given the recent 3-4 threads asking about cohabbing. This thread should be put on an automatic "bump cycle", where it gets bumped to the front by server every 60 days just because ;). Too bad you can't really do that...

Man see wish I had found this before I had put a younger corn with my older corn.

I did not take cohabing them together lightly. I had always kept my snakes seperate but wanted to cohab them just wasn't sure was to afraid somethign woudl go bad. I knew not to house any with my cal king.

But when I got the two new corns the dealer at a repitle expo said yes it should be fine.

Just goes to show you read around and don't trust a dealer/breeder at a show unless you know more about them etc.

thanks everyone, you stopped me from making a bad mistake.

I was going to buy another corn today. I have a 9 month old male and I was going to buy a 4 month old female and put them together. I am glad I came here forst and checked it out. I would never want my snakes to do this and I have learnt a lesson without having to witness it for my self. Thanks so much...:eats02::cheers:

I would argue with somebody on here but it was a very long time ago and that would be silly now >< But I am also glad this thread is here to inform others. I have never and will never house corns together but I see a TON of people asking this question and now I have a link to show them!!

Funny this thread should pop up now! There is a new person who recently asked why one of her 2 co habbed corns wasn't eating....well, DUH!!!!

Then when I told her the truth, she got all snippy and offended.....

I did not read most of the thread but my opinion is that snakes are by nature solitary. Even during brumation and mating nothing is going through their head like "Hey, theres Billy black snake.....I knew him back when I was a neonate!" No snakes don't roll that way. Snakes live on their own. The only interaction they have is with their predators, prey, bacteria, and parasites....and reptile hoarder owners!

Funny this thread should pop up now! There is a new person who recently asked why one of her 2 co habbed corns wasn't eating....well, DUH!!!!

Then when I told her the truth, she got all snippy and offended.....

Well it seems as though this thread shows up when needed. Lol

I was going to buy another corn today. I have a 9 month old male and I was going to buy a 4 month old female and put them together. I am glad I came here forst and checked it out. I would never want my snakes to do this and I have learnt a lesson without having to witness it for my self. Thanks so much

Nice one. =] Good thread to be restarted...

Back