CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Won a ball python in a raffle. Whoops.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Afrederi
Yes. It will significantly shorten the life of the bulbs if they're turned on and off constantly.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Nanci
I love CHEs. And you could get a proportional thermostat for it, so it isn't off and on, it's just steady.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
MakersMarked
A little update:

I soaked her for an hour in warm water yesterday and today, both times with rough terry cloth towels in the tub so she could slither around in them (although basically she just sat on top of them). Yesterday, I scrubbed her with the towels; today, I kinda rubbed her while wearing rough latex gloves from Home Depot. Most of the shed is gone, including the eyecaps and the tail tip. Now there's just a stubborn 3-inch patch on her back. I tried pulling it off, but she is just losing patience with me and getting really pissed off.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Is this a common problem with BPs?! Cuz I'm getting fed up with this. If I didn't have the week off from work, I would've given up a long time ago and given her back to the pet store where I got her.

I should just stick with corn snakes.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
Afrederi
I don't know if it's common. But I've seen breeders' ball pythons with shed stuck on them. I assume if the shed isn't going to constrict anything, you should just try yo remove it when you have time

Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
sambobcat
Its very very common for them to have some areas with shed. Do NOT ever pull it off. It will most likely come off with the next shed. If it isn't a full ring around the snake, its nothing to worry about. The only time to worry is if it's wrapped around the snake's body. Congrats on the ball, they're amazing pets. I have four ATM and I plan on getting more. If you really don't want to continue with her, I could take her off your hands for you LOL! But patience is key. That goes for most reptiles actually. But your dilemma is nothing to worry about. Try to bump up the humidity for a few days to a week to get the skin to loosen up.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
blue roses
I have found that if you raise the humidity it will allow for a cleaner, more complete shed. As soon as the heat came on in my house, the humidity dropped like a rock. So i used all the suggestions i learned from this forum, and I raised it from 20 to between 40-45% and use a hand mister to raise it to 60%during shed for my corn. My new Ball Python is set up the same way but his humidity would never go higher then 50% so i added a reptifog, fogger and that did the trick the humidity is now 65-70%. I have it on a timer to go off every 4 hours. I use a 40 watt red heat lamp on the BP because the room my snakes are in can be as cold as 65 degrees, and that can also lower the humidity.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
MegF.
Just leave it be...it will come off with the next shed. just be sure to up the humidity prior to shedding...when you see them go into the dull stage. Your cage temps are too low on the cool side for a ball python. I'd use a heat panel or those plastic encased heat emitters (looks like a giant piece of heat tape encased in a plastic coating with a cord and plug...they give off heat without drying as much as lamps or CHE's.....Don't make things too damp though or you'll end up with scale rot. You need enough heat in the cage to actually get humidity though.....just making it wet does not increase humidity....getting the temperatures up enough to allow the moisture to turn into a "fog" is what's needed.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
ball python, shedding problem