CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

my corn snake likes the cold side

Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
NH93
Yes it is normal for them to hold heat. But I recommend you get a thermostat ASAP to control that UTH! Left unaided and unregulated, those UTHes can get over 120F!! That is more than enough to burn a snake.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Nanci
What brand of UTH are you using?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
nickcorns85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
What brand of UTH are you using?
its a zilla

Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #14
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcorns85 View Post
is it normal for hides over the UTH to hold heat? i just checked the temps at about 6:45 A.M and the night time temps had dropped to the mid 70's but i got an 81 right in the center of the area under the hid
Yes, they will retain heat.

When you say "night time temps" are you saying that you lower the temp at night or that the room just naturally gets cooler?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
nickcorns85
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Yes, they will retain heat.

When you say "night time temps" are you saying that you lower the temp at night or that the room just naturally gets cooler?
it naturally drops with the house temps in the parts of the tank were there is no uth

Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #16
smigon
Quote:
it naturally drops with the house temps in the parts of the tank were there is no uth
Gotcha. You may want to bump it up a bit at night, the warm side on the glass should always be about 87°, making the top of the substrate about 85°. The cooler end is not as important to regulate since the snake will choose where he is most comfy.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
LazyLemming
Definitely get a thermostat. Better for them and easier for you :P

Are the warm and cold side hides different? If so maybe he's just more comfy in the cold side? I used "large" size half logs for Iggy and he spent his time about 50/50. I had to replace the cold side one and used a larger half log and now he spends 95% of his time under the cold side.

We have a Boa too with a half log hide, a coconut shell hide and a rock hide and no matter how I arrange them, she's under the rock whether it's hot or cold.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
nickcorns85
i do plan on getting a thermostat 1 day soon when i have the extra money. ive got a 7 year old corn that has never burnt himself back when i was little i had my first snake a ball python and i used a heat rock with him that was 16 or more years ago before i had the internet to tell me heat rocks were bad and he survived

Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
LazyLemming
You asked for opinions on why he might be preferring the cold side. The most likely reason, expressed by the majority of folks, is that maybe the temperatures are uncomfortable for him. The best way to control that is a thermostat.

Your snake can survive with different setups. But this site is generally huge fans of the heatmat and thermostat set up. In terms of good better best, it tops the list so most everyone is going to recommend one.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #20
smigon
Quote:
i do plan on getting a thermostat 1 day soon when i have the extra money.
Unfortunately pets are not something you buy necessities for "when I have the extra money". If you can't afford the absolute necessities, perhaps finding a new home for him would be best. What would happen if he got really sick and you had to take him to the vet and it cost upwards of $300? Pets are something you need to budget for, just like your rent, utilities bills, and groceries.

A thermostat isn't like a neat hide that you want to add to the viv someday, a thermostat is a total necessity to keep the temps of their environment steady. Even if you got an $11 rheostat (sliding dimmer switch that plugs into the wall) it would be better than nothing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google