CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

OMG what are those popping up?!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Cornparadise
I think this really is a fault during early development, but only the future will tell if this is true. They are definitely cool, would love to own one lolz.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
ZoologyGirl
Keep us updated on these. I can't say I'm particularly interested in having one, I'm not interested in scaleless either, but I'd be interested to know if this is a genetic mutation which is heritable, or if it is an early developmental issue. I too lean toward developmental issue, but who knows They are interesting to ponder, that's for sure.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
SnakeAround
I have already made a comparison pic, could not wit myself LOL

The weird one actually has more scales too, so they are not underdeveloped regular scales I think. The shape is also different. I wish we we were like half a year further to see what they look like then

Of course there is a change it is some fault in development, but two of them in a clutch... at the other hand, the other one that was pipping yesterday died after having poked out his nose, when I got it out it was completely developed, yet it died It had regular scales though....
The last egg had not even been slit, so I opened it, to find a tiny embryo totally gone wrong, it looked like a half sized, crumpled, mixed up head with a tiny body attached, maybe about an inch long. It was fully colored up but I could not see what the scales looked like.

So this was what happened: the mother laid 9 good looking eggs, two crumpled after a couple of days, one normal hatchling hatched, two 'mini scale' hatchlings hatched but three normal and fully developend hatchlings died after poking out their nose or only slitting the egg, one embryo's development completely went wrong

The circumstanced with the hatchlings that died, might indicate this is a clutch gone wrong indeed but to me it seems so weird that from the three survivors out of 9, two are are the weird ones, and among the ones that did not make it, are most probably no weird ones, except perhaps the tiny, crumpled one... I do so hope that the weird ones are healthy and are a pair so I can test them to see what is going on, without most of the hatchlings not making it

Here are two new photo's of one of the weirdo's, showing the details of the skin a bit better:

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
Nanci
Have you noticed how smooth the edges of the markings are, too? They remind me of the anaconda Western hognose morph.

Hmmm. I'd be hanging on to the normal, too, in case it's het for tinyscale. Just in case.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #25
vetusvates
Those round scales and round saddles and lateral spots almost make it look like a toy.
When I first say the first pics yesterday, it reminded me of a BRB.

I hope the oddling survives and can be studied more.

I wonder if it has an extra chromosome for the scale and pattern traits. LOL.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #26
Nanci
There are two of them, Eric!!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
ZoologyGirl
Thanks for the new pics, very interesting indeed.

When I first saw them their scales kind of reminded me of Kenyan Sand Boas.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #28
Reptileman81
Yeah that was my thought. They look like some anaconda or burms hybrid lol. Crazy looking but way cool. Even like kenya sand boas like ZoologyGirl said.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #29
SnakeAround
I know I'm stuck to keeping all three of them.... what a bummer I must say though I'll have to be creative with vivs and make some difficult choices too, three adult snakes more then reckoned with ruins my housing plan quit heavily.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
SnakeAround
Pssst, Reptileman, don't tell them how they are made, you promised

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google