CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Testing for Stargazing

Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
ceduke
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Repped!!!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
nmoore601
I also am an engineer that has nothing to do with corn snakes. I just write. It's hard to write and show emotion. If I have offended you I appologize. I just wrote one what I have read. Have I been on here since the beginning no.

Do I have time to read every post no. I just brought up testing for SG. The tile was not I can't believe Tara or others are not testing.

I apologized numerous times

Let's move on and try to discuss the topic.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Tara80
Then I whole heartedly agree!

Although gazer will most likely never be eradicated from all stock, we can sure try.
My lead breeding sunkisseds are from tested stock (purchased from Chuck and Connie) with the exception of my dark sunkisseds.
I'm more concerned with propagating these guys before the male dies (as he's older and in poor health) before testing for gazer just so the gene/genes still exist to work on. As far as I know, there are very few dark sunkisseds out there. One of them was a gift from Don Soderberg, since I had a female and no male and he had a male and no female.
Once I do obtain enough babies from these guys, then I'll feel comfortable enough to start testing. This won't affect anyone else anyway, as I won't be selling any for a long time. Currently, it's even unknown if they even *are* sunkisseds.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
nmoore601
Well that's cool. Never heard of them. I would love to see the dark morph. I feel the same way as you do Tara.

This is what I was after. Their ate dome original Kathy Love SK running around from founding stock that need to be preserved as well. Then before marketing test and move forward. I would love to hear more about the dark ones you spoke of. Could you pm me with an email so we don't get this off on another story?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Walter, do you plan on testing parents of any SK combos you have already produced, so you would be able to say, with as much certainty as possible, that the parents were gazer-free? Specifically the parents of the SK Blood girl I have at my house?
Nanci,
YES.....I still have some F1 normal project parents to SK combos I have produce, and the parents to that girl is still here. This is the thing though, seeing I will have only one breedable HOMO gazer female, it's going to take a little while to get my males proven, at least until the 2011 girl is big enough, then it will move ahead a little quicker. Another good thing is, I don't have ALOT of males. Most of my holdback were females.

I do plan to breed as many females as I can with the HOMO gazer male though. I will say this, I WILL NOT be breeding any of my SK any further starting next season except for testing........well, let me back up a little bit.

I guess I should say, the ONLY Sunkissed animals that will/might be available will be from new projects started with my PROVEN GAZER FREE adults that I recently aquired, any others will only be bred for testing.

Until I know who is or who isn't, they will not be bred any further.
Another good thing is, quite a few of my F2 combos will be breedable next season, such as SK Miami, SK Hypo Miami, Honey Bloodred.

Even though I still have their parents, these female's first breedings will be to the HOMO gazer male........Reason???
It will take me longer to prove BOTH parents to each (due to what I mentioned above) than it will take to prove 10 females. I'll know about these girls first round either YES carriers or NO carriers for sure.
If NO, then I can move forward on projects with these girls while waiting to prove their parents. If YES, than it's back to the drawing board using my proven gazer free Sunkisseds.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
nmoore601
That's what I am going for with the recent SK project I got. I can test all my females quick. Males require a large number of females to test. Unless they are from the same breedings then you could breed the founding stock of your project and kill mutiple birds with one stone.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore601 View Post
That's what I am going for with the recent SK project I got. I can test all my females quick. Males require a large number of females to test. Unless they are from the same breedings then you could breed the founding stock of your project and kill mutiple birds with one stone.
Yeah, I know what you mean Nick. Unfortunatly for me, the actual Sunkissed's I used to start my projects are no longer here, so I can't test them, that's why I have to resort to testing F1 & F2 animals.

One of the originals was a loaner from Don Soderberg and a couple others were some that I purchased as hatchlings in Daytona quite a few years back.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
Tara80
I know Don has sent quite a few of his sunkisseds, if not all of them, up to Chuck and Connie for testing and some have proven positive and most not.

I've also obtained a few sunkisseds from Daytona - from random breeders - that will need to be tested eventually but I'm not in any hurry to breed them (other than the darks).

One thing I can say is that IT IS good to hear who is and is not testing their stock.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore601 View Post
Who tests for Stargazer? Why do people only assume since their SK projects show no SG then they are free. Has any one every seen the little guys doing the SG in person it's so sad. There are some really good reads about SG. I will post some links showing what the odds of producing a SG from projects, how long it would take to surface. I know most people will not waste a productive year of SK to test for SG. Once the SG starts popping up in various people's collections. There are going be some very unhappy folks. I have tested all my females. Waiting on the results. If I have SG in my lines I will raise enough females to start testing males. All of my SK sold this year will be gazer free lines. Also the ACR will be just about the only way to make sure you are getting gazer free corns. I just wanted to throw this out there. I know some
will be upset, mad, and some agreeing. My good friend Joe Pierce is really up to snuff on testing for SG. Connie and Charles also have some awesome reads about there findings. I don't have all the answers but their is a ton of info out there on this disease. I hope I don't get the spear for bringing this up.

Just seems as much as this forum cares about corns, there would be a lot more testing going on and a lot less assuming everything is good with SK.

SK are a favorite of mine. I have tons of projects containing SK. Like I said before the ones sold from us will be gazer free. I have an adult gazer male male I aquired free, a het gazer male on loan, and some yearling gazers for more testing. So if any one wants homo gazers for testing I am offering my 2012 stock free of charge to anyone interested in getting gazers to test their SK stock.
I disagree with the statement I put in bold. While I do like and use the ACR, there is not a 100% guarantee that the information found there is 100% accurate. The information is only as truthful as the person supplying that information, and there are breeders out there that do not have the most stellar of reputations in regards to the genetics of the snakes they've sold being what they said they were. And if the genetics are correct, as in homozygous snakes, quite a few males have not been producing fertile clutches and it has been rumored that surgical sterilization might be the reason why. I trust Connie and Chuck, but I think you might need to do a little more research on the BOI.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
Reptilekyle64
To Quote tara:
For the record gazer is tested by only a few people and I would not put that number over 20 in U.S For the hundreds of sunkissed and sunkissed morphs produced every year... There is a very good chance that my serpenco line of sunkissed lavenders could be carriers and in fact will have to obtain gazers at some point just for the freaken respect of sunkissed breedings!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google