• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

possible new morph? You decide

If you go to the User Control Panel (User CP, in the gray bar, at the top of every page) you will find a section where you can select the number of posts in one page. I have selected the maximum number, so this thread, for me, is only eight pages.

I had a hard time find it once in there. So if you go down to edit options on the left hand side and click on that. Then scroll down to Thread Display Options there is where you will find the option to increase the amount of posts per thread.

Well, crap. Thanks to my 3 day hiatus from Real Life, I completely missed out on the FB thread. Bummer. Would've been a fun read!!!

On another note, while skimming that FB group looking for said thread, I ran across a post by our hot-headed friend calling the Anery Motley-looking thing a "Lavender Motley." OMG. Could it be? He's starting to pull his head out of the wherever-you-please and realized it's NOT a brand spankin' new morph that'll make him millions??

Hm... I think I'll reserve judgement until he admits the Normal Motley isn't a new morph, either.

Yea the calcium sand may be good for Lizards and such that eat only bugs and don't have a higher calcium diet, but cornsnakes get plenty of calcium with mice. Also as Outcast said impaction is a real issue with cornsnakes on sand. Aspen is my only choice for bedding at the moment.

Actually, calcium sand isn't good for lizards, either. It isn't (as) digestible like(as) they claim (don't know if it's completely indigestible, or just enough to claim it is), and, likewise, still creates a serious impaction risk in lizards. From my research, it seems to create an even more dangerous impaction situation than plain old play sand, because the impaction tends to be looser and cannot be cleared with the normal methods used on hard impactions from normal sand. Could be mistaken on that, though; it's been a year or so since the last time I read up on it.

Some lizards also seem to be more likely to just eat it straight for the calcium content than plain ol' sand that has none of those... erm... "benefits." Which just increases the odds of an impaction.

Calcium sand = not safe for any reptile, and it's unfortunate that people still fall for that trap.

I can't sit by and listen to this, if I'm not mistaken it was YOU and only you making personal threats to people here. I'm not here to fight "debate" or argue but you don't have much of a case there buddy.

Wow and this is a community? Not much here but people with bad attitudes and liars.

Warning: Do you need to be banned for a year in the hopes that will be enough time for you to mature by the time you get allowed back on this site? You just aren't getting what this conversation is really all about, now are you?

Oh, silly little goose. I think you're mistaken on who has the truly awful attitude here.

Holey cheese. I tried to spell attitude with four D's. Time for bed, yes? Can't wait to see where this thread goes tomorrow.

Warning: The name calling, berating and any other comments concerning anything that has occurred in this thread will cease! Rich has taken the reins and has made the path choice perfectly clear. There is absolutely no need to add fuel to the fire that we are trying to put out. ANY further comments, even if they are in response to a direct bait, will NOT be tolerated.

(I keep forgetting we have that little warning function!)

Actually, calcium sand isn't good for lizards, either. It isn't (as) digestible like(as) they claim (don't know if it's completely indigestible, or just enough to claim it is), and, likewise, still creates a serious impaction risk in lizards. From my research, it seems to create an even more dangerous impaction situation than plain old play sand, because the impaction tends to be looser and cannot be cleared with the normal methods used on hard impactions from normal sand. Could be mistaken on that, though; it's been a year or so since the last time I read up on it.

Some lizards also seem to be more likely to just eat it straight for the calcium content than plain ol' sand that has none of those... erm... "benefits." Which just increases the odds of an impaction.

Calcium sand = not safe for any reptile, and it's unfortunate that people still fall for that trap.

Thank you for the info. I knew the stuff was not good for snakes and guess will not even try and venture there for lizards as well. We all still learn something new every day. I'll just stick to the calcium dust you put on the prey item first then.

Thanks Floof!! It has been a few years since I kept lizards and I didn't know that either but it's great info.

I keep Juju Bean the bearded dragon on alfalfa pellets. She can dig in them and if she eats one it goes right through her. It makes her viv smell good too! But yea cal sand is not good for any lizard that likes to lick. Dragons, or leos.

Beautifullywild, I am going to have to try that with my 2 beardies :)
I hear that calcium sand clumps like cat litter and can cause some major blockages. Also the dyes used to color it can transfer to your pet, like blue feet/bellies etc. The dyes are non-toxic, but do stain.

I like newspaper, paper towels, shreded paper and aspen for my snakes. My 2 living room/display snakes are kepts on a loose type bedding to make the cages look better. The rest of my snakes are set up in my bedroom, so their bins don't need to look "pretty".

Thanks Floof!! It has been a few years since I kept lizards and I didn't know that either but it's great info.

Kind of a stretch, as some lizards do very well on sand -Egyptian sand fish, for an extreme example! It's not ideal for beardies, but I bet I raised well over a hundred on it before I ever got that memo, with no impactions. Calci-sand is one of those things I don't even carry in my pet shop, because it is SO unlikely that anyone looking for it actually has an organism that actually needs it. But to say "it is bad for all lizards" is inaccurate. I do agree that it IS less than ideal and poses some impaction risk for leo's & beardies, which is what most people seem to want it for. Just wanted to add a tad of clarity, lest people come away from this thread thinking sand is bad for all lizards.

Beautifullywild, I am going to have to try that with my 2 beardies :)
I hear that calcium sand clumps like cat litter and can cause some major blockages. Also the dyes used to color it can transfer to your pet, like blue feet/bellies etc. The dyes are non-toxic, but do stain.

I like newspaper, paper towels, shreded paper and aspen for my snakes. My 2 living room/display snakes are kepts on a loose type bedding to make the cages look better. The rest of my snakes are set up in my bedroom, so their bins don't need to look "pretty".

I love the alfalfa pellets. It also adds the green color to the viv. Juju loves digging in it. It will clump with the poo as well. I get a big bag from the feed store.

You know what I like for substrate for lizards? Slate for dragons. Easy to clean. Adults can have an area of washed play sand. Uros are the coolest, though. White millet for substrate. Then they graze on it all the time, so they are fine to leave for a few days without a sitter, AND it makes them have nice solid poops! And the hulls of the seeds go right through them :)

Oops. I done a bad thing. And learned that "silly goose" is considered insulting. Curious. Sorry about that, Susan!

My apologies, Chip, and excellent point--some lizards DO do well in sand. After all, there's a reason Sandfish skinks are called "Sand Fish"! :) I have a bad habit of forgetting about those and honing in on things like beardies & leos that don't really need a burrowing substrate. Bad habit I've been meaning to break.

To be specific, I'm very skeptical about "reptile" and calcium sands being safe for anything. I do recognize that some species seem to do best on sand (i.e. sandfish) and that some people do have success keeping healthy, well-hydrated, and properly fed/supplemented beardies and leos on sand.

My Schneider's skink is supposed to be one of those species that do well on sand, though I'm still so accustomed to the stigma and arguments against sand in regard to beardies that I haven't had the guts to try it. Been thinking about trying a drier dirt mix, though... Nice and easily burrowed, with less impaction worries. I just love dirt mixes for those animals I do use them for (tortoise and a couple snakes)! Granted, those are all medium to high humidity species, so an arid dirt mix is new territory for me. Really need to get around to doing that--been wanting to do an arid planted viv for a Rosy boa, too!

I have posted some reactions on the posters page on FB, and he reacts completely normal. I have told him he has a lovely normal cubed and a lovely anery motley, amongst others, and he just thanked for it. Further he showed an amber which absolutely does not look like an amber. I told him so and he was completely nice and wanted to know what I thought it was.

So Nick, maybe we can start over here because you are a nice guy after all and you can continue to show us your animals and maybe learn a bit here an there :)

Back