CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Purist Breeders

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #51
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Wild caught, NATURAL intergrades (note the word natural), are one thing.
Human created frankensnakes are totally something else.

See, the other reply is really the entire problem. "Looking cool" is all that seems to matter to far too many.

I hope I am in the mall when the cubic zirconia ring is bought as a genuine diamond, then the store clerk says........."what's your beef anyway??, you got the cool "look" you wanted, right?.....HAHAAA!!!

~Doug

Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
...Doing dna testing of breeders...
Back on the ignore list! I really tried this time.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsDenSerpents View Post
Let me preface this with: I appreciate hybrids for what they are - hybrids. I do not appreciate hybrids that are labeled incorrectly. That being said, I don't feel it is my responsibility to clarify with every breeder I go through "hey, are these guys hybrid?" If I'm looking at what is labeled an anery corn, I don't expect it to have, say black rat blood in it. Further example would be my partner and I are on the waiting list for a Doberman puppy from a breeder. We did not ask "hey, did you breed golden retriever or greyhound into these dogs at any point?" We shouldn't have to, because it is the BREEDER'S responsibility to advertise their animals correctly. Sorry, Carpe, but your "you should ask for proof before you buy" doesn't fly with me.
I would agree 100% with you if it were not for the fact that pedigree dogs do occassionally have other dogs bred into them and are bred back to pure standards by their owners. The same is done with cattle. After so many generations of back breeding they are considered pure again.

As a breeder you are responsible for knowing the lineage of your breed the same as a dog breeder keeps track of his lineage. You have a responsibility to set your own standards and meet those standards. Those that have those same standards or exceed your standards should be those you choose to work with. If you choose a substandard breeder when your expectations are much higher that is on you... I do place that blame on the breeder who lowered their standards and expected to get more from a pure bred animal they found at the pound. Sure, it may look pure... but what is its true make up?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #54
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Yes, I know!! The dna test, paternaty test, is a JOKE!!!!!

Can't be done, is not accurate, and is utterly worthless.

Yes, the hybridizer is to blame. No doubt about it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #55
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Yeah, I knew this was the goal from the very start when I saw the title and who posted it......to see if he could get himself busy at the keyboard regarding hybrids again (as always).

~Doug

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #56
airenlow
I did too, but that "hope and change" idea worked for somebody else recently. I don't like him either...

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #57
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
I would agree 100% with you if it were not for the fact that pedigree dogs do occassionally have other dogs bred into them and are bred back to pure standards by their owners. The same is done with cattle. After so many generations of back breeding they are considered pure again.

As a breeder you are responsible for knowing the lineage of your breed the same as a dog breeder keeps track of his lineage. You have a responsibility to set your own standards and meet those standards. Those that have those same standards or exceed your standards should be those you choose to work with. If you choose a substandard breeder when your expectations are much higher that is on you... I do place that blame on the breeder who lowered their standards and expected to get more from a pure bred animal they found at the pound. Sure, it may look pure... but what is its true make up?
That first paragraph is completely and totally false. Pedigree dogs are NEVER bred to make mutts with other breeds.
I don't think you are as smart as you think you are.....

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
That first paragraph is completely and totally false. Pedigree dogs are NEVER bred to make mutts with other breeds.
I don't think you are as smart as you think you are.....
Alaskan Klee Kai ring a bell Starsevol?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #59
Carpe Serpentis
As for your diamond analogy and a hybridizer trying to sell you a hybrid as a pure specimen. I don't think hybridizers are trying to sell you hybrids as pure snakes. I think breeders are trying to sell hybrids to you as pure snakes. So, its a faulty analogy. I think this happens because breeders don't know or question the lineage of their snakes. If it looks like a corn then its a corn. If thats your standard role with it and I applaud it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #60
Carpe Serpentis
If an animal has a closed registry, this means no additional animals are allowed to be introduced into it. If the breed has an open registry, this means new blood is allowed to be entered into it. Standards still apply however.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google